Author Topic: BIG BORE - 16" Mortar  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: BIG BORE - 16" Mortar
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 12:55:21 PM »
and the stump under fire.

I think ths has applications for melting lead or zinc for casting.  (At least the fuel is FREE.)

It takes about 4-6 hours to burn out a stump to ground level.  Work, but at least I'm doing other things while lettting it burn.
(The real thing is the knowledge I've gained on how to use pallets for fuel, how to start the fire for a top to bottom burn, and how much heat I get out of it.  Next winter it'll be heating me for free.)

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2009, 05:39:56 PM »
As I was burning out the third stump with the 16" Mortar/Stump burner, I heard some young birds in the trees.  Suprized one of them.  Came back out and took a couple of pictures of the two babies (tubing is about 3/4" diameter.)  (See attached.)

These were the two YOUNG owls.  Mom and/or Pop buzzed Darlene and I when we came back out.  TOO close - I hard the wings beating the air as the parent went by.  (Owls fly SILENTY)

EDIT:  These are likely young Eastern Screech-Owls.  Watched them from the deck (15' away) again tonight (Monday 29 June).
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline centermass

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 12:32:44 PM »
I don't think I make enough money in one week for one shot.................
The only person I know who said "safety is over rated"...........is dead

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
I don't think I make enough money in one week for one shot.................

On the contrary, I found a beach-ball today at W%$& Mart.  It won't take much powder to launch it and it can be done safely in my back yard.   ;D

I think the owls are at least 6 weeks old, Eastern Screech-Owls.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Frank46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 05:33:58 PM »
Cat, yes they were. The coal was ground up into almost flour like powder and then blown via large pipes into the boiler. When the coal was wet it would sometimes plug up the pipes and burn inside them near the boiler. We did have a mill explosion once just before the watch changed. Blew one of the doors off and sent it down the mill alley about 50 feet. There used to be a tradition that when supervisor was going to get married and at his bachelor party one guy would sneak in and lock a chain on his ankle and a mill ball at the other end. This happened to me. The guy that did this to me had a brand new car (his wife's). So I picked up the mill ball and out to the parking lot. That new car almost got a busted windsheild before one of the bar maids came out with the key to unlock the chain. Course I was a lot younger then and was used to lifting heavy stuff. No one thought that anyone could pick the darn thing up until it was my turn to wear the ball and chain. So maybe if anyone lives near a coal fired plant, you could try and see if you could get an old mill ball. There were two types of mills. One used the balls and the other used what looked like a huge donut that ran in a race like a ball bearing. Frank

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2009, 04:29:50 PM »
We fired the 16" off twice today.

The first was with 2-3 oz of Cartridge Goex.  Beach ball went from 50 to 75 feet in the air.

The second was with 4-6 oz.

The beach ball died.  It was the BIGGEST DEEPEST BOOMING BANG-BANG (echo) that I've ever produced in my back yard!

The neighbors were both amazed at the NOISE and laughing at the demise of the beachball.  Wall Mart will hear about their short-lived product tomorrow!

Picture is of the first shot - second was a night.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2009, 04:47:48 PM »
Your neighborz must really look forward to Independence Day and the booming sounds from your backyard.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2009, 05:22:47 PM »
Your neighborz must really look forward to Independence Day and the booming sounds from your backyard.

The one's on the left, yes - we're good friends, share shooting off fire works in their yard or in front of their house every year.
The one's on the right - well, other than she's a detective in a neighboring town, isn't around much and is very independant and has no concerns about our celebretory behaviors.

That is to say, GREAT neighbors, very different from me and eachother.

We work at having good relationships - I keep a good stock of tools and such - and we watch eachother's pets when were on the road.

YUP, life is good.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired