Author Topic: Newbie with 158 topper 3030 story, questions  (Read 680 times)

Offline elbow

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbie with 158 topper 3030 story, questions
« on: July 03, 2009, 04:10:55 PM »
About ten years ago I had a Model 158 3030 topper probably from the 70's, sold it to a buddy, just traded some firewood to get it back. I have shot many deer with various rifles, compound bows [about 60 deer] but now have only longbows, recurves, Love the topper. The sights are crude, flat blade front, standard rear, soI took it to a gunsmith the other day, he is putting on a fine gold bead and a williams peep sight. Figure tht would work good in the snowy vt woods. I am also sanding the stock, will stain it dark then put on a bunch of tung oil. Anyone hunt deer with these guns? what can you guys tell me about the accyuracy, loads to use [170grn core lokts are what I have] durabbility, luck with peeps etc on these rifles? Always thought they were junk until i saw this sight, now i have single shot disease!

Offline maglvr44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Newbie with 158 topper 3030 story, questions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 04:36:57 PM »
Welcome and congrats on reclaiming your old friend!
Good old Core-Lokt's will be as good as anything else, hard to beat them when you consider the thousands of deer the have killed!

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 01:46:54 AM »
does your gunsmith think that the bead will work with a peep??

i ask this question because in the faqs i've been read'n that you need proper
front site height when using a peep.
i cud be wrong, i'm now building a peep system as we speak...
using 4 different front site heights to experiment with.

good luck
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 06:50:15 AM »
I had an old Marlin 35 rem, re-sighted with a Williams firesight front and AO rear.  I like it a lot in the woods, and it has always connected with what I was shooting at.  At the range I have trouble with vertical stringing at 100 yds.  Must be because in the woods, I just react and don't think about things.  I like the peep style for quick reaction hunting. 
As a youngster I never could tell with a bead (and they were on everything back then) and an open rear sight whether the bead went over what you were triing to hit or the bullet strike should be at the top of the bead.  Do you try to put the top of the bead even with the top of the rear notch or in the bottom?  And with a buckhorn rear sight, forget it! 
I shoot best with a flat top front and pistol type square notch rear.  (like the my 30-30 Topper came with)  It seems easiest to me to consistantly maintain the vertical and horizontal.  Of course at my age now, I seem to have scopes on everything.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!