Author Topic: kind of a crazy question  (Read 1739 times)

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
kind of a crazy question
« on: July 12, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
Lets say you are gonna spend some time in the woods alone. You are in a place where you don't have to worry about predators such as bears, wolves, big cats or big foot. You want to carry two guns. # 1 a rifle and #2 a pistol. Ok you have decide you want the two to be able to shoot the same ammo. Would you carry a 22LR? My thinking is 22lr would be a great round to carry. You could carry a lot more ammo than say a bigger centerfire round and they would not take up as much space. Would it be crazy to carry a NEF rimfire in 22LR? I really love my handi rifles and have been thinking about a good rifle/pistol combo for say a week long camping trip. I then came to the conclusion the 22LR would be about perfect. Now as I said I love my handis and got to thinking about the single shot 22LR. It would be light and easy to handle could shoot small game and larger game if had to. This rifle is easy to keep clean and and is built kinda simpler than say a bolt or auto. Does this sound crazy or would this be a great little gun to carry in a extended trip in the woods? Also about how much should I expect to pay for one of these little rifles. Thanks

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: kind of a crazy question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:27:41 AM »
NOT a crazy question at all.
If that is what you want to take, more power to you...why not ?
Keep in mind that the NEF's are not real light, they have a pretty heavy barrel. Yes, they are simple, and reliable, and a box or two of shell would go a long way.
Not sure what an NEF Sportser goes for, probably under $150. or so.
Mark                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:50:44 AM »
While the .22 LR has the ability to take game such as deer (however it is illegal, at least here) it can been done with a headshot, however they won't go quietly into the freezer,or so I have heard?) I would, myself, prefer at least a .22 mag,the .22 mag will kill a fox or yote (done it,although they were trapped first) has just a little more power, won't add much additional weight and I would feel more confident in killing with it than a .22lr. the ruger bearcat has the ability to change cylinders for either .22 lr or .22 mag, same with the Hertiage rough rider pistols. Which both offers the same options  as the NEF rifles (ability to change calibers). plus cabelas has a nice hoslter set that works well for them, and you can carry addtional rounds on your belt for either.

Me? I carry the 45/70 handirilfe, or the 45LC winchester 94 and a single action .45lc pistol,but we do have the bears, big cats, yotes, wolves, hogs, and coydogs (many of these I see around the house) We had a guy mauled by a bear, less than 1 mile from me 2 yrs ago, and this year a kids dog was killed by hog(s) in his own yard just 10 miles south of me. We just had a news report that bear population is upto 30,000 here in wisconsin and wild hogs are up by 40% (killed this year over number last year) in fact people are starting to hit them with cars at night, last weekend the dumb$^% police shot a bear in the middle of one of the larger cities here, that wondered into the middle of the park.

H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:37:58 AM »
It is  POS, but an AR-7 probably weighs all of 3lbs with 200 rounds and is quite compact.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:41:31 AM »
"last weekend the dumb$^% police shot a bear in the middle of one of the larger cities here, that wondered into the middle of the park."

and why were they "dumb$^%"s" and what does this have to do with .22's....<><.... ???
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline a4beltfed2000

• Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 04:03:31 AM »
sorry just a rant! ;D The animal control center has/had a tranquilzer gun available but officers just decided to kill it even though it had already climbed a tree. While I am a hunter, I find the wasteful killing of a bear, very dishearting. I will fix my post.
H&R/NEF 10, 12,16 20 28 ,410 .243 45 357 45lc. 1919a4, uzi, sten mK 2,3,5 M2HB, 1917a1, ak74(2) amd 65, RPK (2) 11 aks and 50 other guns....

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 05:59:06 AM »
another option would be the .17HMR.....
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline cgoff

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 01:46:43 PM »
another vote for 17 HMR

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:33:49 PM »
Unless you take some spare parts to fix the transfer bar and associated other things, I think a H&R is just too fragile for a survival rifle.  Some type of bolt gun or other single shot without the clap-trap fireing system and a revolver of the same cal would be my choice.  I don't know where you would be in the woods to not worry about a Big Foot, they are every where!  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 03:14:36 PM »
Thanks for all the input. My brother loves camping and has all kind of stuff to use in his endeavers. He wants him and I to take about week long camping trip on creek he knows about. I was just looking for something that is simple that I could take along. Don't really need any show nuff firepower just something to maybe take a few small game animals for the pot. We will not be in some kind of harsh condition that will make or break a gun. Again thanks for all the help and info.

Offline snakeman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 04:05:15 PM »
I would pick a .357 mag handi and matching revolver. Good enough for some deer and it can take small game with low powered .38's.

snakeman

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 11:14:33 PM »
I think it's an excellent ideal, a ruger single six would be the perfect companion to it. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 08:46:34 PM »
I'll be honest, for a survival gun I want something that is bullet proof so to speak.  And something that will not take up any more room than possible, and as light weight as I can get.  In other words what I carry in the plane.

I carry a .22 revolver with two cylinders, .22 LR and .22 Mag.  As for the rifle I carry a Henry take down model, or my Remington Nylon 66.  Yes the Remington is a semi-auto as is the Henry.  But the Remington has never failed to shoot in 48 years I have owned it.  And it weighs half as much as a H&R Sprotster .22.  The Henry shoots fine, and takes down into a small package, but sometimes it does not reload properly, so I lean toward the Remington Nylon 66.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 02:13:17 AM »
 My most favorite camp/hike/trail gun is a well worm S&W 651 in 22M. It offers plenty of power for bigger nuisance game, enough for the two legged varmints and is lite and accurate.

For me, in this scenario if I am going to carry a rifle it wont be a 22LR. Something more substantial will be there for sure.

To put things into better perspective. I am a big handgun competition shooter and am not limited by the accuracy constraints have when shooting a handgun. So the hand gun for me has more usable range and better "overlaps" into rifle range territory.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 04:34:36 PM »
My favorite was an old Armilite AR 7. I think this is the same rifle as the Henry US Survival rifle
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 04:59:37 PM »
I would pick a .357 mag handi and matching revolver. Good enough for some deer and it can take small game with low powered .38's.

snakeman

the  38  is real quiet in  the handi
357 if  you need  something big
i  prefer the  44  but  357/38  is smaller  and lighter....ammo is cheaper

22  will  seem  too  small  when  you hear the  banjos in  the distence
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 06:53:42 AM »
Me if I was looking at doing it how you are I would take my Handi .32H&R mag and one of my .32H&Rmag pistols.I think it would be perfect. But since the 32 is not had by all I would do the same thing with the Handi 357mag and Taurus revolver. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline MISSEDSHOT

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 12:05:48 PM »
Someone said if a Handi was carried to take some spare parts, specifically transfer bar parts, are there problems with the transfer bars? I have seen them replaced with rebounding hammers and wondered why.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 12:12:46 PM »
Yup, read about em in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MISSEDSHOT

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 02:41:04 PM »
quickdtoo, From my understanding of the posts, this was a few and is not a real common problem. I know of Handi's firing hundreds, if not thousands of rounds and are still dependable.I was wondering if Kasenite could be used to further reinforce and strengthen this weakness.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 02:56:06 PM »
It's not the material exactly, but the flimsy way they're made, it's made of two pieces, see the FAQs if you haven't had one apart. There have been enough reported here that it's something to be very aware of, if it falls apart, it won't shoot.

Tim

Offline MISSEDSHOT

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 03:25:25 PM »
quickdtoo, thanks for the conversation.This makes me unconfident in the Handi.Do most show this weakness right away or can it develope over time?I have a new in the box .357 Handi and a .22long rifle on order.Should this fact discourage me?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 03:30:10 PM »
I have 46 H&Rs, 43 of em have transfer bars, I've never had one break or fail, I only hunt with H&Rs. But I do keep a spare on hand along with the spring, a firing pin and extra hammer springs.  ;)

Tim

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 05:40:21 AM »
I agree with Tim. I also have a good amount of hands and have never had one break. (Knock wood)  ::) ;)

Its more something to be aware of than something to be worried  or overly concerned about. IF and when it does happen, you will be informed and have the knowledge necessary to fix it!! As is said, knowledge is power.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 10:33:18 AM »
I have 46 H&Rs, 43 of em have transfer bars, I've never had one break or fail, I only hunt with H&Rs. But I do keep a spare on hand along with the spring, a firing pin and extra hammer springs.  ;)

Tim

the  rest  of  us  carry  a hand gun  like  you
just incase  our  rifles  fail
why  the rifle pistol  combo  with  matching  ammo  is such  a great  idea
you  not stuck  with  useless  ammo to  haul  around  along with a broken  gun

i  did replace  an  extracter  with  quicks guidence in  the shop  once
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.