Author Topic: Limbsaver Pad for NEF Turkey Gun  (Read 721 times)

Offline Chopper3030

• Trade Count: (0)
Limbsaver Pad for NEF Turkey Gun
« on: July 08, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »
Just bought myself a new NEF Turkey Gun (black stock, XX-full screw-in choke).  Was hoping to get a Limbsaver pad that could be permanently installed (with screws), instead of getting the slip-on model.  Does an "permanently installable" model exist that will fit the gun?  Or will I have to get the slip-on model?

Thanks,

Chopper

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Limbsaver Pad for NEF Turkey Gun
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 03:14:24 PM »
There are no prefits that are made specifically for it, but a small grind to fit will work, you can also compare the shape to the templates at Limbsaver and maybe find one that's close, sometimes you have to mess with printer settings to get the templates to print to actual size.

Tim

http://www.limbsaver.com/templates.php#precisionfit

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Chopper3030

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 03:39:10 PM »
There are no prefits that are made specifically for it, but a small grind to fit will work, you can also compare the shape to the templates at Limbsaver and maybe find one that's close, sometimes you have to mess with printer settings to get the templates to print to actual size.

Tim

http://www.limbsaver.com/templates.php#precisionfit

Thanks Tim.

Think I'm gonna go for the slip-on model.  Do I remove the original pad, or do I slip the Limbsaver over it?

Thanks,

Chopper

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 05:58:41 PM »
Either way, depends on your desire length of pull, I've used a slip-on over a pad on a youth stock just fine, but a full length stock you may want to removed the existing pad.

Tim

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 02:54:32 AM »
I have a long length of pull so when I had my NEF turkey gun I used a Limbsaver slip on over the exising pad and it cam out just right. It mellowed the recoil quite a bit but not enough for my bad shoulder which is why I use a 20 gauge now  ;D
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Chopper3030

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 03:20:19 AM »
I have a long length of pull so when I had my NEF turkey gun I used a Limbsaver slip on over the exising pad and it cam out just right. It mellowed the recoil quite a bit but not enough for my bad shoulder which is why I use a 20 gauge now  ;D

What 20 gauge gun and load do you use now?  What is your effective range?

Thanks,

Chopper

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 04:36:45 AM »
I use a 20ga Topper Deluxe Classic for turkey, with Federal Flite Control  Heavyweight #7 I get lethal patterns at 40yds..... thru a full choke at Federal's recommendation.  8)

Tim

Offline Chopper3030

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 02:12:28 PM »
I use a 20ga Topper Deluxe Classic for turkey, with Federal Flite Control  Heavyweight #7 I get lethal patterns at 40yds..... thru a full choke at Federal's recommendation.  8)

Tim

Thanks Tim.  If this NEF Turkey gun turns out to be too much recoil for me, I'm gonna order a 20 gauge barrel for it.  But I'll keep the heavy stock.

Can a 20 gauge TDC barrel be ordered for this gun?  What kind of sights do you have on your TDC 20 gauge turkey setup?

Thanks,

Chopper

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »
The TDC barrel can be fitted to a 12ga Turkey gun, but not the 10ga, price is listed on the acc barrel page in the Pardner list, gotta add shipping and fitting fees to that tho, they're on the order form. Link below shows my sights.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,142452.msg1098569267.html#msg1098569267

Offline Chopper3030

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 02:35:15 PM »
The TDC barrel can be fitted to a 12ga Turkey gun, but not the 10ga, price is listed on the acc barrel page in the Pardner list, gotta add shipping and fitting fees to that tho, they're on the order form. Link below shows my sights.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,142452.msg1098569267.html#msg1098569267

Tim,

That's one good looking turkey gun.

Does the monte carlo stock align your your eye with the sights pretty well?

Thanks,

Chopper

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 08:10:54 PM »
Thanks, stock works fine as is, but I thought maybe the high, sharp comb might beat my cheek up with recoil, so I sanded it down just a little to make it more rounded, works great even with 1½oz turkey loads, recoil feels about the same as a 30-06, maybe a bit more.  ;)

Tim