Author Topic: Anyone ever seen one of these...?  (Read 864 times)

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Anyone ever seen one of these...?
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:59:36 AM »
I was a flea market the other day and a guy had a Harrington and Richardson bolt action 20 gauge.  He wanted $75 for it. 

Never knew H&R ever made a bolt action any thing.

Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Anyone ever seen one of these...?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »
Hey Matt! I have an H&R mod. 349  12ga. they called a gamester, bolt action. Holds 3 rounds, 2 inside a tube under the barrel inside the stock and 1 in the chamber. Has an adjustable choke goes from cylinder bore to full. Walnut stock an recoil pad. Old gun really shoots good! That I know of H&R started makin these around 1952. My gun looks just like the one I saw in a 1952 H&R ad. scout4<><

Offline Matt3357

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:20:03 AM »
Interesting, I do remember seeing gamester on the gun now that you mention it.  Seems like H&R dabbled in a little bit of everything.

Matt

Matt

"People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election."
-Otto von Bismarck

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:27:44 AM »
They had a major flaw and h&r was advertising and had a by back program around the late 70's or earlie 80's..my memory is a little foggy...seem to recall that they was paying 35$for the bolts out of them as they were prone to an accidental discharge...THAT H&R is long gone... :'(
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:40:26 PM »
I don't remember that, anyone esle have any recollection or info of that ....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
I was a flea market the other day and a guy had a Harrington and Richardson bolt action 20 gauge.  He wanted $75 for it. 

Never knew H&R ever made a bolt action any thing.

Matt

H&R made lots of firearms before they went out of business in 1986,  from M1 Garands to centerfire and rimfire bolt actions and semi-auto sporting rifles as well as bolt action shotguns, take a look at the list at Numrich.  ;)

Tim

http://e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=101
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 02:45:08 PM »
seems like i remember seeing H&R on an M16 A2 at one time about 1986 ...

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 07:12:04 AM »
An old gentleman owned the 12ga. gamester that I now have. He never had a problem with the now old bolt action. I do know this, you need to keep that sight dome in place, as it retains a screw for the breech that has something to do with retaining the bolt. Besdes, that sight dome really does work, as I've used it for a rear sighting device to shoot slugs, and I was well pleased with the accuracy shooting Remington managed recoil sluggers. And not only that, but you can open that choke all the way to cylinder bore which is excellent for shooting slugs from smoothbores. With the dandy new recoil pad I installed has recoil about like a 20ga. of same weight. Remember these older bolt actions are chambered for 2 3/4" only. I believe this is where some of the problem was, some people not satisfied to leave good enough alone tried shooting to heavy of reloads or handloads from these old guns only to end up with the bolt blown out. I have shot winchester superX slugs from this, along with remington sluggers, the standard rounds from walmart. Don't like the recoil, so I shoot the remington manged recoil slugs only. scout4<><