Author Topic: Buffalo (bison) meat  (Read 4363 times)

Offline jk3006

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Buffalo (bison) meat
« on: October 06, 2008, 01:15:38 AM »
Is it rich and moist like beef, or is it more lean and dry like venison?  How is the taste, as well?  Just curious.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Buffalo (bison) meat
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:18:59 AM »
It taste fine but it is some what dry IMO.  Like range fed beef there isn't as much fat.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 01:46:11 PM »
I wasn't crazy about it at all.  I'd eaten it before, but, I'd probably only eat burgers from here on in. 
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline SwampThing762

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 05:56:34 PM »
I love it, but don't treat it like beef.   Cook it like beef and you dry it out.  try it slow cooked like a pot roast, and it falls apart in your mouth.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline JD HHI 6092®

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 07:17:06 AM »
I just shot one a few weeks ago and it 's the best meat I've had.  It's lean, tender and tastes great!  I have both steaks and burger.  I've used the burger for the meat in some spaghetti sauce and it was great.  We grilled some of the steaks and my kids loved it.
The only thing you should feel when shooting insurgents is recoil.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 04:14:46 AM »
We for my other halves great great granmothers 90th B=day took a buffalo roast up to missouri ...Well the night before she had me try it and boy is was pretty dang good , considering it was her first time at it .. But by the time we got to MO. it had dried a bit and wasnt as well recieved as we had hoped .. The proccessor i used tenderized all the steaks and alot of burger.. Steaks have been great in a pan with butter and some seasoning ... i imagine they would be fine right off the grill ;) but they are not beef .. That might explain why they are before you nutritionally then chicken or pork (but i aint given up on my pig hunting ;) ) we use the burger from my buffalo in everything ..My Moms taco recipe , enchiladas , hamburger helper (deer burger is awesome in hamburger helper too) and any other way you would use burger, so yeah i like buffalo alot  mine was in the 1400 pound range  .. And yes i will be going again   ;D

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:12:08 PM »
  If you live near a Cabela's they sell it daily. Burgers, links, and jerky.

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 07:48:28 AM »
Shot one with my recurve, and like above, it was some of the best meat (any cut) my non-hunting wife or I have eaten.  She even suggested it would be good for me to take another one one of these days!  Yahoo!!

Arch

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 03:27:19 PM »
I've hunted buffalo twice at Catron Ranch in Harding County , South Dakota.  Just as it was in 1870's bison are easy to knock over with a shot to butt of the ear.  I used a .308 carbine but a 22-250 with Nosler Partition would probably be just as effective.

Roasts are same as beef but less fat. Steaks tend to be less marbled and should be marinated.  Burger is quite tasty indeed!

TR

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 06:06:04 AM »

I raised two boys on deer, elk, moose and caribou but now that they are out of the house my wife and I bought a 1/4 beef that had been grass fed then fattened with corn before butchering.

Well, the other day I did some gun work for a friend and he brought over two bison steaks and some burger.  I grilled the steaks and they were absolutely wonderful.  Not dry at all, and very tasty.  My wife commented that she thought the bison was better than the corn fattened beef we had in the freezer, and I agreed with her.

This past weekend we broiled some beef and as we were eating the wife looked up and said..."Maybe you should go for a buffalo next fall!"  Now, should I use my bow, Ruger #1 45/70 or FS .475 linebaugh????

Silvertp

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 07:14:42 AM »
Well, I've had the burger and didn't care for it.   :-\  My wife likes it.  One of my boys had a steak and didn't like it at all.  But then again we ate our's at "Ted's," a (local?) resturant chain owned by Ted Turner and supplied with buffalo from his ranch.  The problem may be that I can't think of Ted Turner without remembering he married Jane Fonda and I can't think about Jane Fonda without getting sick to my stomach...  >:(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline T.R.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 01:35:53 PM »
SilverTip:

Buffalo are big, dumb, and dangerous.  I wouldn't hunt bison with a bow at ground level.  They can stamp a person into bloody rags. 

I recommend a rifle shot to the butt of the ear... instant death.

TR

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »
Well, I've had the burger and didn't care for it.   :-\  My wife likes it.  One of my boys had a steak and didn't like it at all.  But then again we ate our's at "Ted's," a (local?) resturant chain owned by Ted Turner and supplied with buffalo from his ranch.  The problem may be that I can't think of Ted Turner without remembering he married Jane Fonda and I can't think about Jane Fonda without getting sick to my stomach...  >:(

There was a guy on the radio here and a listener had a chance to throw a pitch for a lot of money if he got a strike and a lot less if he missed.

Jane Fonda was going to be there.

Someone called in and suggested he take the lower amount and bean her in the head.

SilverTip:

Buffalo are big, dumb, and dangerous.  I wouldn't hunt bison with a bow at ground level.  They can stamp a person into bloody rags. 

I recommend a rifle shot to the butt of the ear... instant death.

TR

I talked to a guy that ran a ranch and he said a buffalo would like nothing better than to stomp you to death.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »

OK guys, you convinced me.  I'll pack something that doesn't require crawling up to within 30 yards for a killing shot.  I like one on one archery, but those bison are a lot like gangbangers.  If you see one there is probably more in the area.

Cheers!  And long live Buffalo Steak!

Silver

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 03:36:40 AM »
Take the bow!  It's fun and it's a chance to get up close and personal (shot mine at about 20 yards).  Just remember to wait for broadside, then place the arrow tight behind the front shoulder, quartering away is best.  Sutdy American bison anatomy chart if you can--vitals lower than you might think.

Used 60# recurve; 700 grain wooden arrows; 145 grain two-blade Zwixkey Delta broadheads.  Penetrated to fletch twice--initial shot, and follow up shot.

Best of luck!  Arch

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 05:15:14 AM »
Now there is an archer that warms the cockles of my heart.
Traditional bow, arrows and two blade point at 20 yards. :D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 02:40:39 PM »
  Me and the fiance' went to Cabelas and had some buffalo burgers and a buffalo brat hot dog. They were great. She is now hooked on bison meat. Thinking about a hunt soon here in Texas.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »
Bison is raised locally. It is expensive to buy, roasts are 15 bucks a pound.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline kiddekop

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »
  Me and the fiance' went to Cabelas and had some buffalo burgers and a buffalo brat hot dog. They were great. She is now hooked on bison meat. Thinking about a hunt soon here in Texas.
I booked a bison hunt thru cabelas at Medicine Lodge Ranch in Idaho and shot a 7 year old bull.I found out the hard way trophy  breeder bulls are classified as burger bulls and their flesh is downright rank tasting.I told a Kurok Indian about my hunt & his first comments were 'How could you eat it?  they're rank tasting' I fully agreed.Friends told me they never hunt trophys instead go after bulls less than 2 1/2 years old or cows as they taste a whole lot better.I seldom hunt bucks since I'm not a head hunter ,preferring a dry cow elk or dry mule deer doe.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 07:08:07 AM »
  Oh yes for the hunt I was thinking of a cow. I too have heard they are much better. Even an outfitter here in the hill country told me that. The prices I have received thus far have not been bad for the amount of meat, the hunt, etc. that you bring home. And, I too, am a meat hunter and I am planning the hunt for mid-winter, January.

Offline jk3006

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »
I still haven't been able to make things work out to wack a buff, but maybe some day.  I would sure like to.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 06:43:40 AM »
Many years ago, my wife's uncles in South Dakota(ranchers) had a neighbor who raised rodeo animals including bison.  He called and wanted them to put down an old bull that was nearly blind and kind of a pet.  They happened to have some hunters over and asked them if they wanted to shoot a bison; they jumped at it.  He drove them over and they craweled to within 70yds and the uncle started to warn them about how dangerous they can be, so one shot and dropped the large bull, he was thrilled at the large bull with large gnarled horns.  The uncle was worried the bison would smell them and think it was feeding time, as the owner had been feeding him for a while because of his failing eyesight.  The hunter had all the meat shipped back to Ny., as well as a cape for mounting.  The uncle said that had to be some tough meat.  The guy still hunts there and still doesn't know the truth of his bison.

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
No buffalo hunt for me!
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 07:58:53 AM »

I got drawn for a "Moose hunt".  I plan on taking the moose with my bow so won't be needing buffalo  meat this year.  Yahoo!

Silvertp

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 05:33:10 AM »
Silver--where will you be hunting moose?  I have several friends who have taken moose with bows, but that's still on my 'to do' list.  Congratulations on the draw!

Best of luck for a successful hunt.

Arch

Offline Silvertp

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »
Oldarcher...
I got drawn in my home state of Idaho.  Really feel blessed to draw such a great hunt.  The hunting area starts just about 3 miles as the crow flys from my front deck and covers some great country. 

Thanks, I'll take all the luck I can get.

Silvertp

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 02:01:25 PM »

I got drawn for a "Moose hunt".  I plan on taking the moose with my bow so won't be needing buffalo  meat this year.  Yahoo!

Silvertp

As "Napoleon Dynamite" would say.............LUCKY!!!!!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »
Good luck on the Moose hunt Silvertp.
I would love to hunt a moose and wth a bow would be great.
I am going elk hunting in NM this year with a bow.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.