Author Topic: Wasa's cannon deck  (Read 646 times)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Wasa's cannon deck
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:55:09 AM »
Well we went "Yard Sailing" and I came up with some great books @50 cents each. FIGHTING SAIL; THE MEN OF WAR; THE SPANISH MAIN; THE EAST INDIA MEN; THE EXPLORERS; THE WHALERS. Lots of illustrations with cannons. I am going to try and post one of the Wasa's cannon deck. I scaned it into My Photos in my computer and then tried to upload it into GB's My Hosted Pics but it tells me to resize etc.. I'm not into that, so I'll try another way.
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Wasa's cannon deck
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 05:41:45 AM »
that thing was built well , look at those ribs and spacing  :o.

it looks like it would be a heck of a warship . i suppose it was for half a mile give or take .  :(

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »
I posted this to inspire RICKK to discard the plastic table he uses to cover his back-yard beast and build a little of this ;D
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:32:12 AM »
I posted this to inspire RICKK to discard the plastic table he uses to cover his back-yard beast and build a little of this ;D

ROFLMAO

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:33:35 AM »
Lionspaw, my 7 year old agrees with you. He wants a roof as well.

Of course, I'm the one that would have to do it and my "infinitely long list" is getting tight for places to write more things on.  If there was extra space on it my wife would fill it up for sure.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:38:24 AM »
Yeah that should get the neigbors talking a two story cannon platform that looks like part of a ship,
he'll still need the plastic table for the upper deck..... and of course the building inspector would drop by for the unfinished
building without a permit
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:54:27 AM »
two story cannon platform

Funny you should mention-a friend from NY built such a thing in his yard-actually a two or three-story building larger probably than most of your homes.  It has an open atrium in the middle with a powerful electric chain hoist attached to a beam near the ceiling, so he can hoist cannons up the middle and put them on which ever level he wants.  He collects full-size Civil War field guns mostly, I'm sure some of you know him-I didn't put his name here on purpose, I don't think he wants extra attention, although he's never been particularly secretive about what he collects and shoots.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »
Gary

half a mile ??   oooooohhhhh nooo

you know the famous swedish quality , it sailed for 1 mile before it sunk   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »
so , one mile it went ,there you have it ...i'm wrong agian . but i'm used to it ;D .

at least we get to see what a ...'never sailed ship' brand spanking new ...except for the age thing ::)

did you guys get wind of the mary rose turtling and think something like ...' well shi!! if they can do it .....

Dan what do you think caused it to ....submarine like that .

too much wind ....well duh ...

not enough ballest....duh...

the cannons where not secured ?????? that would be interesting but i dont buy that ...if they could have found a boogy man i suppose he would have been ......?

but they didnt , nobody ever got the finger as far as i know ....proly a combo of all three .....

then open gun ports wont help any as they listed over .......lots of the crew got the ....'finger' >:( so to speak .

but it was a nice ship for a mile  :o ...as i stand corrected .... ;D ,

plus then you had the solar or solgien ....whatever means 'the sun'  ...........magazine lit off and 600 plus saliors where gone . pooffff ! was it 2000 lbs of BP they had .....? oh well ,that one isnt on display .

risky bidniss all around .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »
The king thought they should have another gun deck and his minions were afraid to tell him that was a bad idea.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 01:23:18 AM »
yes thats correct, but hopefully he learned something from it .
he tried to blame the dutch ship builder at first
it could have been a good ship if they had some more ballast in it .
but today there are many who are happy that the ship sunk, if not we wouldnt have had that very beautiful ship to look at today
I dont know but I would guess that its the oldest preserved war ship in the world that is almost complete
mary rose is older , but thanks to the brackish water the vasa wasnt destroyed .
there is some animals called ships worms that live in salt water who eat the wood in old sunk ships ,
thats why its often just nothing more then metal and the stone ballast left from old ships
if the wood is burried in sand or mud it can be some pieces left .
today Vasa is almost 400 years old so we should be happy that those worms cant live in brackish water

try this link and you will be surprised about what the baltic sea hides in the deep .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7090000/newsid_7097700/7097777.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&asb=1&news=1&ms3=54
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 01:33:20 AM »
It was an IKEA flat pack, and before I get abuse  ;) Iwas born on the Clyde  The home of shipbuilding  check out the web   Queen Mary-Tientsin-Thermopylae-in fact was so good even US were using it as Submarine support base...Hunley-Canopus at town of Dunoon.
 I must admit though damn English were probably the best wooden warship builders for all of two centuries.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 03:22:56 AM »
here you got a lot more to look at from the swedish tv program "vrakletarna"

sorry that link wasnt good , think they have removed them .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry