Author Topic: Newbie Question About Golf Ball Mortar  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Zeener

• Trade Count: (0)
Newbie Question About Golf Ball Mortar
« on: July 14, 2009, 03:00:45 AM »
Hello,

I am a noob here. I just purchased a golf ball mortar. It has a powder chamber in the bottom. The guy I got it from told me to use a capfull of black powder from a one pound can in the powder chamber to get a golf ball to go about a quarter mile, two capfulls for half mile.

My questions, does this sound right?

Secondly, do I need to put some wadding between the powder and golf ball? Do I pour the black powder loose loose or wrap it into foil "cartdrige" and press it in?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I know this makes good noise. The guy I got it from put a fuse it it, filled it to the top with black powder and lit it. Great report!

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Newbie Question About Golf Ball Mortar
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:20:06 AM »
Hello & welcome to the board!

I would say his measuring system is suspect,

a couple of questions,

1) does you mortar have a chamber?

2) can you estimate the size of chamber?

form this we can give you a rough estimate of how much powder it should hold, most shooters use loos powder in their mortars.

wadding isn't really necessary, there is a section of stickies at the top of the page where you will find loading data and safe loading practice.

Hope this helps.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Zeener

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 03:27:37 AM »
Hello & welcome to the board!

I would say his measuring system is suspect,

a couple of questions,

1) does you mortar have a chamber?

2) can you estimate the size of chamber?

form this we can give you a rough estimate of how much powder it should hold, most shooters use loos powder in their mortars.

wadding isn't really necessary, there is a section of stickies at the top of the page where you will find loading data and safe loading practice.

Hope this helps.

Allen <><

Yes, it has a powder chamber, about 1 inch deep and wide. The inside length to the chamber 4 inches.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 03:52:45 AM »
Where did this come from?  What's it made of?  What does it look like?  Does the maker do this often?  Do you have insurance on yourself ::)  Maybe we can get together ;D

rc
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline brokenpole

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:04:00 AM »
I knew many an artilleryman that stated to me that the best way to test the barrel of a new cannon or mortar was the chuck it full of BP and fuse it and make it go boom.

Please...PLEASE do not do that.  The folks here will help you determine a starting load and safe load for your mortar based on material it is made out of an other dimensions.

I have a golf ball mortart from one of the website sponsors (Brooks-USA) and the best distance we ever got was around 150 yards.  That was with the max load and not something we do often.

I will tell you that I am not an expert but there are many of them here that will help.  Please don't get offended by their questions and whatever you do listen to them.  We would like to keep you as a member of the board.

Now...whenever you shoot it we want to see some smoke and flame pics!!! ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 06:42:13 AM »
WELCOME to the board!

Aside from the design questions and materials used; a cap full of powder or two will likely get you 100-200 yards, depending on barrel length, windage and type of powder.

Could you post some pictures?

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:55:42 AM »
welcome zeener ! this isnt rocket surgery . but you have to be carefull and ALWAYS respect this black powder as it can burn very bad ...ask me how i know ..... ;D

just start small . noone ever sets a lap record on the first lap .

start with small charges like 20 grs ffg . and just get used to the routine of loading it / cleaning it .

honestly after seeing what i've seen in this sport , you could be wanting to see that 1/4 mile with a cap full , and carried away ...two times  ;D

you are not likly to get a 1/2 mile anyhow probably not even a 1/4 mile ..... the fun of a mortar is watching the ball in the air , and you cannt do that with much powder .

start small you'll be fine . IMHO small mortars are the way to begin to learn this stuff .

welcome

gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 07:10:20 AM »
Hello,

I am a noob here. I just purchased a golf ball mortar. It has a powder chamber in the bottom. The guy I got it from told me to use a capfull of black powder from a one pound can in the powder chamber to get a golf ball to go about a quarter mile, two capfulls for half mile.

My questions, does this sound right?

Nope. Wishfull thinking. Sounds like eyeball estimates to me.

Secondly, do I need to put some wadding between the powder and golf ball? Do I pour the black powder loose loose or wrap it into foil "cartdrige" and press it in?

No not necessary

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I know this makes good noise. The guy I got it from put a fuse it it, filled it to the top with black powder and lit it. Great report!

Filled it to the top and lit it? Could he have been trying out for the Darwin award.  Mortars go "woomp" Cannons go boom!

Offline STexhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 09:00:08 AM »
I have a mortar/howitzer so to speak, machined from a 3.5 inch piece of round stock.  It has a 6" bore for the golf ball, plus a .75 x 1 inch powder chamber.  Windage on the barrel will just allow a golf to slide all the way in or out on its on.  With 40-45 grs. of ffg with the barrel set at 45 degrees the most I get is 105 yds.  With 75 grs. of ffg I'm getting 150 - 200 yds by varying the elevation.  I feel these are pretty good yardages.  With the smaller charges I can see the golf ball in flight most of the time.  Any heavier charges and I don't see the flight.  Have to go out in the field and look where the golf ball lands to know how far it went.  These things are fun and addictive.