Author Topic: Day in the desert...  (Read 682 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Day in the desert...
« on: July 15, 2009, 02:44:15 AM »
 Spent an enjoyable day with my Son yesterday.

He has unusual ideas about what should be fired from my Dom Dictator. Here's a 'shotgun load' of a short soda can full of plaster of paris, a handful of spent .22lr and 20 ga shells...

PULL!!!

I pitty the fool who steps into OUR beaten zone...

We also did some long overdue target practice with the 22's...

(gotta get that kid a haircut; seems the last time I saw him he was bald, had no teeth and was eating mush out of a small jar).

Later, we caught a snake...

"It's not poisonous, is it Dad?"

"I don't think so."

"You don't THINK SO???"

We chased a jack rabbit off road at high speed, drove into a thick swarm of small beetles, had bats come close to making us into vampires, stopped to look at a kangaroo rat that nearly jumped onto my foot, and one that I dearly would have liked to get a picture of; a fox that came to within 20' of us as we were roasting hot dogs. All we could see were a pair of glowing eyeballs floating up to us until I shined a light on it.

Experiences like these with my Dad 30+ years ago are ones I'll never forget.

More to come later this week...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Day in the desert...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:11:21 AM »

Victor3 thanks for the photo's,

It is always encourging to see fathers with sons and the sons learning our sport,

train him well for he is the next generation of shooter, he is the one we all must

keep in mind when bad legislation rears it's ugly self and must be put down.

This is one time I agree what we fight for is "For the children"
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:23:49 AM »
Spent an enjoyable day with my Son yesterday.

He has unusual ideas about what should be fired from my Dom Dictator. Here's a 'shotgun load' of a short soda can full of plaster of paris, a handful of spent .22lr and 20 ga shells...

Well, that's good that your boy already knows about pirate artillery techniques. :D

"Langrage - Bags of any old junk — scrap metal, bolts, rocks, gravel, old musket balls, etc. — fired to injure enemy crews. "
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:49:06 AM »

This looks familiar.  Where is it?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:49:39 AM »
My guess is for somewhere near Randsburg.  Am I even close?

And, good to see safety and tradition being passed on. 
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »
I go out in the vicinity of Fremont Peak and it has that ambiance to it.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:27:52 PM »
"This looks familiar.  Where is it?"

It's a couple of miles North of Hwy 138 near Llano, CA.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:28:26 AM »
"This looks familiar.  Where is it?"

Well, i was only off by about 50 miles or so.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 09:36:29 AM »

Interesting, I thought that area had been developed by now.  Almost everywhere else in the south end of the Mojave is covered with new houses.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:55:48 PM »
I go out in the vicinity of Fremont Peak and it has that ambiance to it.

George, is this the area where the famous lost Fremont cannon (Mt. Howitzer) is supposedly buried?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 08:41:06 PM »
While I have heard of the lost cannon, Fremont Peak is basically a freestanding high point that any intelligent trekker would simply go around.  Not likely to be near there.
GG
--Winston Churchill