Author Topic: Question about propper neck tension  (Read 395 times)

Offline TheSilverSlayer

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Question about propper neck tension
« on: July 14, 2009, 02:40:28 PM »
How does one determine when his cases have propper neck tension? I realize this is basically a non-issue when FL sizing standard calibers, but in my case, I am attemping to neck size only for my .270 improved.  I have a set of full length lee .270 win dies, but I am only able to size a small portion of the neck without sizing part of the case.  I would say it is only sizing the top 3/16" of the neck. I have not been able to get a collet die locally, but plan on it eventually.  So, how do I know if I have enough neck tension, and what are some of the hazards of inadaquate tension?

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Question about propper neck tension
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:03:27 PM »
Are you using these for hunting or punching paper? If you are using these for hunting you need to make sure there is enough tension to hold the bullet through rough handling and making sure the bullet does not back out during recoil or get pushed into the case or if it strikes something on the way to the chamber. This usuall involves a crimp just to be sure. If they are for hunting I usually say to full length size too, just to make sure they are very reliable. If you are punching paper - which I do more than any thing else, I just make sure the bullet will not pull out easily with my fingers. If it does, I just move down 1 size on the neck sizer die. If you would get a Lee collet die, I think you will find that it does a decent job and will full length size the neck - I think it will fit your AI unless the shoulder is blown out, then you would have to get a custom one made. Good Luck and Good Shooting

edit - If you back off your full length sizing die 1 - 2 full turns you can get a pretty decent neck size and the tension would be the same as when full length sized case
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline TheSilverSlayer

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »
I will mostly be punching paper.  I do have a crimping die, but decided not to crimp if I dont have to.  The bullets felt snug when I seated them, and you certaining cannot move them with your fingers.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 07:11:03 AM »
Good enough ;)

Offline 41 mag

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 11:45:31 PM »
The only issue you will have with using the standard dies on an AI case is the blown out shoulder. You will need to be careful that your not squeezing it in when you run it into the die.

From the sounds of it you have enough tension, just watch the shoulder, and get another die when you can. At some point, your likely to have to set the shoulder back just a tad to be able to chamber, depending on the reamer size, will depend on when that is.

Good luck, the Ackleys can be fun even though they might not always generate much over the standard cases, they still are unique.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 05:52:32 AM »
Nothing is gained by neck sizing below the base of a loaded bullet anyway.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:03:11 AM »
"Nothing is gained by neck sizing below the base of a loaded bullet anyway." - wncchester

I agree - I can not prove it, but I feel that leaving a small portion of the neck not sized aids in centering the case to the bore -it certainly can't hurt.

Offline 257 Shooter

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 06:35:29 AM »
A trick that I was taught to set the die for neck sizing is to mark the neck and shoulder with a magic marker and adjust the die to where only the neck is sized. This has saved me a lot of time and eliminated set back shoulders. And as stated before size only enough to make sure the case has a tight grip on your bullets.