Author Topic: 204 Ruger Sizing  (Read 846 times)

Offline GameHauler

• Trade Count: (49)
  • A Real Regular
  • Thank you Every One for Positive Feedback
204 Ruger Sizing
« on: May 21, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »
Received my used 204 dies yesterday and set out to
resize the 300 once fired Hornady brass I bought here.
They were factory loads and they will chamber in my
TC barrel without sizing so I'm sure pressure is not an issue.
It may be nothing but this is the toughest brass I have sized.
Even sizing 30-30 to 7-30 Waters did not require so much force.
It is not extreme but a little surprised.
Even the expander takes more than I have experienced.
Is this normal for the 204's?
I do not have any bullets yet so I can not see how they will seat.
Thanks
Mike

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 204 Ruger Sizing
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »
I don't remember any particular trouble with my .204 brass, but I only FL sized new, unfired Win brass.  Everything else has been neck sized.

Offline cridertj

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • the boys first critter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:15:42 PM »
I have been reloading the 204 for a few mounts now and have no problem sizing them if i get the case lube on it some times i forget the first round and it is really hard to size then.

Offline gofish

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:40:11 AM »
The casses may need to be annealed. Go to www.varmintal.com , then to the reloading page , scrole down the the annealing case necks. Lots of info for reloaders at this website. casses get work hardened after several resizings . With the price of casses it pays to learn how to do this.

Can't spell very good but shoot OK

Offline GameHauler

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 02:10:46 AM »
The casses may need to be annealed. Go to www.varmintal.com , then to the reloading page , scrole down the the annealing case necks. Lots of info for reloaders at this website. casses get work hardened after several resizings . With the price of casses it pays to learn how to do this.

Can't spell very good but shoot OK

Thanks for the link but these are once fired factory loaded case
so I would doubt they need annealing.
Mike

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 02:41:37 PM »
Mike

What are you using for case lube ? and are you lubing the inside of the case necks ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline GameHauler

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »
Mike

What are you using for case lube ? and are you lubing the inside of the case necks ?

stimpy

Thanks for the reply Stimpy
I have only used Unique since I got 2 tubes with my first loading equipment buy.
I have never used a neck lube and was going to start a tread about using it
(MICA) but bought 2 flasks of it a couple weeks ago from here and tried it for the first time on these rounds because of the resistance I was feeling.
Did not seem to make a difference.

I don't know, maybe I have just loaded easy rounds.
I hear how you have to have a bench built to handle a nuclear bomb
for resizing but have not found this to be the case so far.

I do have a steel bench with a nice sheet of plywood that will take what I can through at it.

I am babbling and going to bed now :-\
Mike

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 03:13:40 PM »
First thing I would try is a diffrent case lube and see if that helps , I have some rounds that work OK with the cheap Lee white lube but others that I MUST use the Imperial sizing wax for and some that I can get by using the Hornady One Shot spray .

Just some ideas .  ???
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »
 I agree, some inside the neck lube may be in order. I still use the older RCBS liquid lube, cuz I have it. After all case work I wipe it off good, & inside the neck with a Q-tip. The correct amount of lube is, 'just enough'. Be sure to check the length after sizing and trim as needed. I may only lube every 4th case inside the neck. I lube each outside, usually just a small amount off the fingers.
NRA, Veteran

Offline GameHauler

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 11:28:36 AM »
I have found that I usually can get away with only lubing every 4th case
on other rounds I have loaded for though I usually do every other.
On these if I was a little light on lubing a case I was afraid of sticking one
so I would pull it back out and relube.
I managed to get through 100 cases but with my shoulder the way it is
(MRI Tuesday) thats all I was good for.
I'll pick up some Imperial next time out and give it a try.
Thanks for the replies.
Mike

Offline harrys

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 09:56:04 AM »
All i use is hornay brass in my 204 and have had no troubles at all sizing them,I also use rcbs dies maybe it's ur dies.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 11:04:03 AM »
Pull the deprimer out of your sizeing die and run a case though it and then mic the necks inside dia. and see what you have. The more it is below .204 the more your working your brass and the sooner the case necks will split. The Hornady brass I`ve used is very good brass and alittle thicker than most so if it had been fired in a chamber that was alittle over size it would size alittle harder than most. I use graphite for neck sizeing for years, but now use mica. Mostly because I don`t get black all over everything.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 08:09:26 AM »
I think your problem is in the third word of your post "used dies".  I use only Hornady brass for my 204 and RCBS dies and it never even crossed my mind that it required more force than any other round.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »
This is a shot in the dark so to speak. Are you sure your dies are adjusted correctly? If the expander ball is in the neck area while you are trying to size, it will be near impossible to get them sized or to extract the expander ball. It only takes the expander ball to be in the bottom of the neck area when pushing the case in or out to cause this. The expander ball should be well below the neck when sizing. Just a thought, If you can chamber the brass - why resize? Just size the neck. If the brass was shot in a tighter chamber than your T/C they should do OK with just a neck size. There have been a few threads about full lenth sizing new brass. I think the majority of people do that, but I do not. I try a few cases in the chamber and if they fit, I do not bother doing a full size. I am trying to get to a chamber sized case anyway so all I have to do is neck size and full length sizing when I do not have to only shortens case life. As far as lube is concerned - any of them will work if done properly. I guess I am in the minority here, but I use RCBS Case Lube 2. I like it because it is water souluable and I can wash the lube right off the cases and in side the cases. I have used it to full length size, neck size as well as forming brass from other cases. I have used it to form from 223 to 221 and from 375 Win to 30-30 cases in one pass. The key is not to get too much on and make sure it has a light coating all the way around and the length of the case. I will more than likely get flamed for some of my comments, but it does work - I have been doing it for years. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 08:24:03 PM »
Are you sure these are once fired brass?

If they are more then once fired they may require annealing.

Dies setting is a good place to start also, as said earlier.

Proper lube on clean dies should work without issues.

I have resized many once fired 204 Ruger into 223 Remington and they flow like butter, no problems.

yooper77

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 07:41:25 AM »

I have resized many once fired 204 Ruger into 223 Remington and they flow like butter, no problems.

yooper77

What????Your turning 204 into 223????   Man I will swap you all of your 204's for once shot LC 223's.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 05:44:52 PM »

yooper77

What????Your turning 204 into 223????   Man I will swap you all of your 204's for once shot LC 223's.

Didn't mean to cause a stir.  If I find any others at the range, I will swap them with you.

yooper77

Offline TLARbb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 01:35:03 AM »
Just a thought.  If your dies are "small base" dies, generally used only for reloading for semi-autos, then the resizing force will be significantly higher than standard FL dies.  I have sets of these for .308 and .30-06 and they are tight. 

I don't know if they are even offered for .204.

I have a .204, but I am not going to buy dies until I can buy some primers.  Unobtainable in my neighborhood.

EJ

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »
The problem is lack of lube. Your procedure of not lubing 100% of cases is a bad one and just one of these days is gonna bite you in the butt with stuck cases. It's also wearing them prematurely most likely as they are being work hardened more than if proper lube was used.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 03:18:16 AM »
Greybeard's right. Lube every case. Leared that over 30 years ago, when a friend of mine was loading '06 ammo on my press. Luckily, they were his dies. Said, you only need to lube every other case or so. Lost track, and stuck one. Ruined the dies trying to get it out.
Also, depending on what kind of dies, you might try and get a carbide size button for your expander. Makes pulling the brass out of the FL die, much easier. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 09:38:02 AM »

yooper77

Didn't mean to cause a stir.  If I find any others at the range, I will swap them with you.

yooper77

I would very much appreciate that!!!!
Buckskin

Offline troy_mclure

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 11:28:30 PM »
with the lee white spray i was using some force, but i ot some hornady 1 shot now its smooth.

i have a set of f/l die for used brass i buy, then a set of neck dies for after i shoot it.