Author Topic: Model 70 follower binding???  (Read 686 times)

Offline brasschaser

• Trade Count: (0)
Model 70 follower binding???
« on: July 04, 2009, 06:54:47 AM »
My friend just purchased a "new" used model 70 Featherweight in .308.  This rifle is controlled round feed and looks to have been used very little if at all.  However, when at the range he had some trouble with the magazine follower.  When trying to insert rounds the back end of the follower did not want to go down into the magazine well area.  It would only tilt forward.

When we opened the floor plate it looked like the leaf spring wasn't seated all the way, and after pushing that more into place it works a little better, but still seems to bind.  Anyone run into an issue like this?  I'm guessing maybe the follower needs to be filed down a tad. 

On the bright side the rifle shot great, 3 shots you could cover with a quarter!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Model 70 follower binding???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 01:59:15 PM »
I would first make certain the magazine spring was fully and properly seated.  Unless you feel burrs or sharp edges on the back of the follower I wouldn't mess with it. 

If you feel the need to replace those parts I believe you can always contact Winchester and get the parts directly from them.  I have dealt with them in thepast and they were very courteous and helpful.  Brownells would possibly be another option for another follower and spring.  HTH.

Offline gwindrider1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »
It's not uncommon for those followers to have small casting burrs on them.  Remove it and look closely.  I generally stone the edges lightly to eliminate the rough spots.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 05:22:43 PM »
One other thing that I have seen in the past is a follower spring that was a little shorter on one end and someone put it together upside down which caused the follower to ride farther back in the mag well.
I have never checked to see if all model 70 springs are this way or not.
You maybe could shorten the spring a little if there is more room at the front of the mag well to move the follower foward a little.
Just a thought.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07