Author Topic: Bowling Balls Float !!!  (Read 1921 times)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Bowling Balls Float !!!
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:21:23 AM »
Last summer DD and I shot off a couple rounds in to the pond in front of my house . Today my ball was found floating on the edge of pond . Cool .....   Doug's zinc ball is still mired in the mud some where   :D

I know it is the same ball as it's name is Rachel , and Rachel floated home .
Out of curiosity I weighed the ball . It now weighs 8.4 lbs . Weighed 9 when we sent it off.

Mysterious Mysteries of the North Country  :P
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Bowling Balls Float !!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »
You might check the number of eyes the next fish or two that is caught has  ;D .

it might not of become a floater untill all the heavy metals leached out ...... ;D

You should figure out what property it has lost . is it softer ? whack it with a hammer .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 11:56:50 AM »
Well it is Friday the 13th and good things happen , bodies rise from the deep !  ::)

Only floats with holes down . Placed holes up and it rotates back down.  ???

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 12:04:30 PM »
I think if I were shot out of a cannon I would loose much more than .6 Pounds

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »
Drain the pound, I want my Zinc back!!!  That monster ate two of mine!!!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 12:15:59 PM »
Just for the record, a bowling ball made of water (well, a volume of water equal to the volume of a bowling ball) would weigh 11.98 lbs, so any balls weighing less than 12 pounds should float to one degree or another.

Just as an experiment, someone with a 12 pound ball should fill the bath tub and put the 12 pounder in the soup and see it it is neutral buoyancy.  ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 12:30:13 PM »
This cannon ball science is work that must continue . :o

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »
We have had lots of SE winds .  I just noticed the ball on the north shore of pond this afternoon . Ice was about 1/2" thick around the ball . It was in about 1' of water .  Good neighbor Don was watching hoping I would fall in . Almost did .  Wish I had taken picture before retirving . It was floating nearly half out of the water.  Interesting .  :)

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 12:39:03 PM »
Well it is Friday the 13th and good things happen , bodies rise from the deep !  ::)

Only floats with holes down . Placed holes up and it rotates back down.  ???

Sooo....maybe it sticks it legs out the holes and treads water?
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
For Sale :
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 12:54:02 PM »
Water Threading Bowling Ball , Complete with little legs ..... ::)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 01:17:47 PM »
Does anyone have any idea why the bowling ball would now weigh less than when Southpaw first weighed it?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 01:24:25 PM »
Yes, the water is alkaline and South paw changed scales

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 01:33:02 PM »
I don't know if the 9 lbs was actually weighed or was just what was marked on the ball, but with the exception of not weighing more than 16 lbs (the maximum permitted by rule), there is no requirement that a bowling ball weigh any exact amount, so we don't KNOW that it weighed 9 lbs to begin with.

I think 1Southpaw actually had weighed every ball he brought to the Montana Cannon Shoot so maybe it really did weigh exactly 9 lbs; but maybe it didn't.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 12:15:06 AM »
 "Ice was about 1/2" thick around the ball."

It's really quite simple...

When ice melts, thermal energy begins to overcome the hydrogen-bonding forces so that each H2O molecule, instead of being permanently connected to four neighbors, is now only linked to an average of three other molecules through hydrogen bonds that continually break and re-form. With fewer hydrogen bonds, the geometrical requirements that formerly mandated a more open structural arrangement now diminish, so the entire network tends to collapse, rendering the water more dense. As the temperature rises, the fraction of H2O molecules that occupy ice-like clusters diminishes, contributing to the rise in density.

See?
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 03:44:28 AM »

When ice melts, thermal energy begins to overcome the hydrogen-bonding forces so that each H2O molecule, instead of being permanently connected to four neighbors, is now only linked to an average of three other molecules through hydrogen bonds that continually break and re-form. With fewer hydrogen bonds, the geometrical requirements that formerly mandated a more open structural arrangement now diminish, so the entire network tends to collapse, rendering the water more dense. As the temperature rises, the fraction of H2O molecules that occupy ice-like clusters diminishes, contributing to the rise in density.

See?

Okay, got it!!   So how cold will it have to get befor my zinc ones float?  ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 04:36:49 AM »
All you gotta do DD is drain the pond .

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 06:08:05 AM »
No need to drain the pond...  just walk out there and pick them up !!!

Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
The problem with walking
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 06:55:29 AM »
is the 1' of black slime on the bottom , will pull your boots off !
Weighed ball this AM , now 8.1 lbs . same scale as before . It is a didital scale accurate to .00 lbs.
The Mystery continues ...... :o

did mention , after George's reply , millions of people across the Globe are filling bath tubs and baptizing bowling balls .  ;)

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
Re: The problem with walking
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 06:58:23 AM »
is the 1' of black slime on the bottom , will pull your boots off !

That's not a problem.... goe barefoot.  The mud will feel good between your toes.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 07:19:18 AM »
Ernie,

I think E.D. lives closer to the equater than we do.  Mud in that pond today would not not feel good...the cold would kill all feeling.  :)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 08:07:35 PM »

See?

I can't solve all of the world's problems at once. Get back to me after I'm done fixing global warming. Or is it global cooling now.... I forget. Anyway, might be a while.  :)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 01:58:58 AM »

When ice melts, thermal energy begins to overcome ...
 See?

THat one's easy!  When Hell freezes over.   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 04:13:14 AM »
THat one's easy!  When Hell freezes over.   ;D

Which brings to mind this old joke:

Is Hell Exothermic or Endothermic?
As you study for exams, remember its not the quantity it's the quantity. And remember there is no substitute for pure unadulterated bull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Schambaugh, of the University of Oklahoma School of Chemical Engineering, Final Exam question for May of 1997. Dr. Schambaugh is known for asking questions such as, "why do airplanes fly?" on his final exams. His one and only final exam question in May 1997 for his Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer II class was: "Is hell exothermic or endothermic? Support your answer with proof."

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

"First, We postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave.

Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, then you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and souls go to hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant. Two options exist:

If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.
If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.
So which is it? If we accept the quote given to me by Theresa Manyan during Freshman year, "that it will be a cold night in hell before I sleep with you" and take into account the fact that I still have NOT succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then Option 2 cannot be true...Thus, hell is exothermic.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
This time of the year
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »
our soft water turns to Hard water . In a few more weeks even a 15'ball will "float : on the surface . Will have to set up my Ice Bowling lanes . Any ball off in the snow will be considered a gutter ball.

Last year DD tried to poke holes in the hard water with his pop can mortar . No luck .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 10:41:18 AM »
Damn 1SP ...That takes me back ....way to when I was a student in 77' and me and Mike and Tracy and Mike (there was two) went to St. Marys Glaicier just west of Denver .

I was 'foward observer' standing on top of the dam , then the mortar 'crew' of a 1794 , 4" mortar Began shooting cement filled oil cans (remember those things?) over my head .

Then KewpOOOSHH into the water and through the some odd inches of ice !!!!!

"A LITTLE RIGHT !" I yelled ,and they did correct . over and over.........DAMN those were the good ol days !!

Gary

ETA There was also a fellow named 'Chief' a native american who is now serving life ...as far as I know , in Attica N.Y.  Who was there too .

As long as I live I will NEVER FORGET HIM LOOKING UNDERNEITH THE JEEP COMMANDO MIKE WAS DRIVING .

Going up 'Flyod Hill' on I 70 , Cheif crawls back over the spare tire ,and the jerry can to peer upsidedown under the asse end of the jeep to see if we were leaking gas ....    ????

with .44 Mag. S&W tucked in his waist line .

Gary

Offline subdjoe

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »
Bowling Ball Float:

In a large mortar place 3 oz. of  you favorite powder.  Add one scoop bowling ball.  Garnish wiht fuse. Serve.
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2009, 11:45:50 AM »

Last year DD tried to poke holes in the hard water with his pop can mortar . No luck .

1Southpaw, just tell DD to build a larger concrete-can or zinc ball mortar!  Mike and I remember very well our bombardment of the tree-line lake that Rocklock1 so aptly described.  Those concrete filled oil cans weighed 5.5 pounds as I recall and they would penetrate 4" of ice on that frozen lake.  I gave up my firing chores to climb up to Gary's forward observer position to see what effect they would have on the lake.  The concrete filled can would make a nice hole after coming down from 300 feet and would throw up a geyser of ice chips and water to about 15 feet.  When we tried a single 9 pound ductile-iron ball we got a 35 foot geyser!

I had icicles hanging from my beard on that adventure, but it was worth it.  We did have some fun!  The mortar that we used in '78 was the same one Mike and I used for the BINGO CONTEST, I believe a Terry C. idea, from this board a couple years ago and is a half scale 1797 8" Siege Mortar by SBR.  The 4" bore allowed those old-style oil cans to fit perfectly.  A photo is below:

Tracy and Mike

Pay no attention to those holes in several of the balls in the stack.  Used just for 'whistle-effect', that's all, really, yup, no other purpose, honest.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 01:01:46 PM »
Ahh ,that takes me back ! holes in the ball .  Tracy do you remember the 400yd rock on Hwy 6 ?

I know you do . Remember the squirrel that showed up to spy from school , ? he wore a red windbreaker ?

I'll never foget when you said  , "well , Let's shoot the SPECIAL ONE !,,,, grins and smiles all around ! ;D :) ;) :D :D

We started to load the 'one' and up close comes the squirrel to make sure he saw what we were doing ?

And he did ,and we fired it ,and nothing happened ....? YEA NO SHINE MORRON IT WAS AN OLD OIL FILTER PAINTED RED !!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D Oh gAFHAA , gaffa , Tee ,Haaarr , yooooooohOOO HARRR TEE HEEE ! and so on .

He left with nothing but pubilc humilation and a date explaining to ....his boss why he was an idiot .

HHHaRRRR TEEHEEE ....Gary

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 03:11:17 AM »
     Rocklock1,   I do remember the 400 yard rock and the 'special' shot at it, but what I recall most vividly was what changed our minds about the way we were igniting the 4" mortar.  Before I hauled that beast out to Denver, we used standard green fuse to fire it.  Nobody liked waiting for 5" of that stuff to burn down to the powder, so i looked around and found that some folks were using what they called 'quills' back in the mid 70s, but 'quills' then, were not the same as 'quills' are today.  Back then we were filling the whole paper soda straw up with 3Fg BP with an inch of black match taped to the tip.  It burned rapidly for one full second, like a huge flare, before the Ka-Boom.

So back to the 400 yard rock at Tunnel No. 1, Route 6 canyon just west of Golden, Colorado; we used the powder-filled straws and broke 3 or 4 trying to stuff them down the dirty vent, because we forgot the .22 cal. vent brush.  Quite a little pile of powder accumulated on the ground under the mortar's breech end.

It was Mike's turn to bombard the big rock at 400 yards, so he lit that little piece of black match with someone's Zippo and immediately disappeared in a cloud of powder smoke!  As he staggered backward, the mortar went off, Ka-Blam!!, adding to the confusion!  Everyone knew what happened, so why did not one of us remove the spilled powder BEFORE this happened?  It's a mystery to this day, but at least we were smart enough to switch to using 5 inches of black match, which, in the vent, burned much quicker to light off the mortar from then until we changed to 'sticky, quick match quills' in 2009.

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling