Author Topic: Where's RICHARD? Danish bronze breechloader dated 1551 from shipwreck  (Read 360 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
When you get to the gun photo and drawing, see how there's no apparent metallic attachment between the chamber and the barrel.  I guess maybe that means it worked like Lion's piece, depending on a wood frame to connect the two?  I guess if there had been some kind of iron chassis or receiver it could have disappeared completely in the seawater?  Dunno.  Where's Richard?

http://www.abc.se/~pa/publ/mukran.htm

Offline nematode

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Danish bronce breechloader dated 1551 from shipwreck
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 06:13:18 AM »
pretty cool to see something so difficult to build, that old.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
I can't find a mystery here ??? 

Mortensen's line of reasoning escapes me.  It's a bronze breachblock piece.  Not a muzzle loader.  It obviously was the subject of a catastrophic encounter.  I wouldn't want to have been in the vicinity. Regardless of whether it was on a land carriage or a sea carriage, the bed would have been wood and useless after the explosion ripped this piece apart.  With the muzzle peeled open, the breachblock went aft; snapping the grip on something it hit.  I myself, never position myself aft of the Lion's Paw.

Many moons ago, Dan pointed out and illustrated how copper sheets were utilized as currency in Sweden.  With copper/bronze having value, perhaps this scrap was being transported back to port :-\  It doesn't have to have been a naval gun; only scrap and very nice scrap it is.

About 50 or so years ago, I read an illustrated book titled, "The Motel of Mysteries". Whereas we now ponder ships hundreds of years old and digs that are thousands of years old; in thousands of years, a motel will be excavated and people will be expounding upon the supposed purpose of a water bed, TV, condoms and deciphering the mystery books language, that was found in a bedside draw.
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!