Author Topic: What season are you gearing up for now?  (Read 876 times)

Offline Big Hext Finnigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php
What season are you gearing up for now?
« on: August 18, 2003, 07:14:56 AM »
Yes, it's hot.  Down here in Texas, it's dangblasted hot!

Still, Fall is around the corner.  If you try real hard, you can get a whiff of cool winds blowing in.  I think my neck is starting to swell, just a bit.

So what's in your sights?  What critter is on your horizon?

Adios,
But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.  - Edmund Burke

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 07:47:56 AM »
Going into the mountains for 2 weeks after Dall Sheep starting Wednesday!!! :D

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 08:47:28 AM »
Hal:  hte Whitetail and Bear season is coming in about two months, and in the interim small game abounds, an early Turkey season and the last of the large breasted woods-walkers can be seen sweatin' it up in Upstate NY.  Mikey.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 09:21:31 AM »
Welcome, Big Hext Finnigan!

I know what you mean about that dangblasted hot weather down here. It just doesn't seem right having to suffer heat stroke clearing shooting lanes through the brush and getting eaten up by mosquitoes practicing with my bow. Just goes with the South Texas territory, I guess! Sure wouldn't trade one of our December northers for one of the upstate variety, though. Things get a might too frosty for my bones when its cold enough to snow.

I'm getting myself tuned up on the old bow for the opening of archery deer season on Sept. 27th. Haven't hunted with a bow for a handful of years, but it is the only way to legally kill does out of our herd, since we have no chance for MLD due to our landowner not wanting to mess with TPWD (not that I blame them). If they don't wake up and smell the roses over at TPWD pretty soon, there's going to be some messed-up deer herds around the state. Seems like all they want to cater to are the big ranches anymore. Anyway, I'm going to try to do my part to keep the buck/doe ratio close to where it should be.

After that there's our Nov.1-Jan.4 general gun season. This year my 12-year-old daughter will be toting her first deer rifle into the woods with me. If it was half as fun as last year (lots of deer, both does and bucks), we'll have a jolly good time.

Maybe they can invent some expanding-collared shirts for the likes of us whitetail-crazed Texas hunters, you think? :)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 10:33:35 AM »
Hmmm. 1st there is the Oct archery season, then a pronghorn hunt, then the rifle deer season and finally the late deer archery/muzzleloading season.  How can I get it all in during only 3 months???? :(

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline jhm

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 12:42:01 PM »
Im still getting ready for last season!!  Seriously coyote season opens next mo. which will be the rifle warm up for muzzle loader but bow season comes b-4 that anyhow I love them all. :D    JIM

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 01:27:57 PM »
I leave Saturday Sep 6th for a bear hunt in Maine. All done just need to pack and leave. Rifles sighted in and ready to go. Hunting crew all set and ready roll. 45-70 prime with the 30-06 as back-up gun.

Deer hunt for 3 days in northern Penn second week of rifle season in Dec. Almost ready to go. Son will be along on this one and we each have 1 doe tag and just applied for a second one for each of us. Should work out on the second tag.

Local archery for deer. Done deal and have access secured on private land that borders large public state park. This will be good. Also will hunt this land early the first week of the PA rifle season. Slug gun area only. Will have as many doe tags as i care to have. Will do fall turkey here also.

Local rod & gun club lands. Some archery deer and gobbler.

I'm now working on a rifle deer hunt in the New York southern zone. Should have this set up soon with and outfitter who has over 4,000 acres of private land/farms. Most my hunting partners are already all booked up with hunts so I may do this one all by my lonesome. Anyone who's interested in meeting at a NY deer camp (zone 7R & 7S) send me a PM. Or truck pool with me if near by. this hunt will be before the Penn rifle opener.

2 day Duck hunt in central Penn with son on DU managed area.

3 day Duck hunt on the Mighty Missisippi northern Illinois zone just outside Savanna Il. this will be with my life long duck hunting crew who all live in Il.

Lots of local small game and a grouse hunt or 2 and a pheasant hunt or two.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline varmint101

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2003, 07:15:07 AM »
Everything is pretty much set for dove and waterfowl in September except my stamps haha.  I think I've got everything I need for early archery deer which starts Oct. 1st here.  Firearms deer is good to go, but always tinkering with loads just to see.  The only thing I'm really working on now are loads for my .243 for coyotes and fox.  However, next week my 209x50 barrel should be here so I will have to work on that.  

Isn't it fun to have all this stuff coming up!!! I love it!! Regards,

Matt

Offline X-man

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 02:28:56 PM »
Up here in Newfoundland, we're waiting for the weekend to come so that duck/goose season is finally open! Got a new Lab I'm breaking in, can't wait! Moose/Caribou season opened last weekend in certain areas, mostly in the interior of the island. My Moose area doesn't open until first week in October, so am looking forward to that. That is the rifle season. Bow season opens two weeks earlier, so will be taking to the woods for that as well. Once I have those chores taken care of, have October to February to go bunny hunting/grouse hunting. Partridge are on the down slope of their pop. cycle, so there is only a few week shooting season for them. Didn't bother buying a Bear license for the Fall season, am going to be too busy to hunt my favorite area, so will wait until the Spring.
"...Only accurate rifles are interesting."

- Colonel Townsend Whelen

Offline ARMallardSlayer

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2003, 02:14:56 PM »
Gearing up for bow season and duck sesaon.... :grin:
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange landing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!!!!!!!

ARMallardSlayer