Author Topic: alox or hi temp lube  (Read 825 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
alox or hi temp lube
« on: July 20, 2009, 03:47:42 PM »
i'm going to be making an order for 500 cast bullets. but i have a question, should i go with thier high temp lube or use alox.
 i will be using 50 to 70 of the bullets right off, but the rest will stay boxed up till i need them  ( that could be a while )
so will the lube be ok ? or should lube them with alox before i use them ?

Offline Bitterroot Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: alox or hi temp lube
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 04:22:08 PM »
Howdy,
High temp lubes are for outfits who ship by mail or UPS. Alox bullets need to be carefully lined in trays or other means to keep them from tumbling into a ball of goo two weeks and rough handling later. As for storing bullets, as long as they won't be out on the hood of the car all summer, the Alox should keep for a long time. It might evaporate on the surface a little, but it will keep as well as the Crayola-type lubes.

Bitterroot

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 01:28:04 AM »
I high temp lube isnt nessisarily a hard lube. Some lubes like verals blue soft and lars corduba and a few others are great at high temps and in rifles at high velocity and still are relitively soft. Pressure is more of a make or break thing with lubes then tempurture. When you refere to alox are you talking an alox like javalina or nra 5050 or are you talking tumble lube. they are worlds apart in how well they work and how there used. Javalina or nra will work to a much higher pressure and velocity level then tumble lube. What you need to stay away from in my opinion is tumble lube on anytihng over about 1200fps and the hard commercial lubes like red roster and magma hard blue at any velocity. For the most part the only use they serve is making your bullets look pretty.
blue lives matter

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 02:31:47 AM »
that is what i was needing to know. it sounds like i need to get some javalina and verals soft blue
thx

Lloyd, do i read in your post, that you are not a fan of the alox tumble lube ?

Offline jbquack1

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:21:26 AM »
My first lube was lyman alox,which like the nra formula, is 50/50 beeswax/alox.it is soft which works in my lyman sizer without heat.it smokes a bit,lyman super moly works well, i ran out of that and ordered veral's lbt blue soft,it flows well and the bulk price is hard to beat.i would go with the blue soft.jim

Offline Scibaer

• FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:59:18 AM »
im new to lubing my own bullets  obviously.. so now its applied is a considertion too ..
 tumble lube is real easy.. i dont know about the others yet

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 06:57:37 AM »
no im not a fan of tumble lube. I like my bullets sized and tumble lube will not allow the velocity a good convetional lube will. Its also messy, atracts dirt and if left on the bases for long term storage can cause powder deterioration. Only downfall to a good lube is you about need a lubsizer to apply it. But bottom line if you are going to be a caster you will need a lubesizer anyway.  Sent you a pm.
blue lives matter