Author Topic: Pistol primers in rifle loads  (Read 331 times)

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
Pistol primers in rifle loads
« on: July 25, 2009, 02:25:53 AM »
I've got some 30 cal 150 gr FPGC bullets i'd like to shoot in my 308 handi rifle...a reduced load of H4895 is the plan...about 30-30 velocity(2000 fps if the bullets will handle it without leading) but haven't had much luck lately finding LR primers. I do have Winchester LP primers and used them successfully with PB cast loads in my 32 Special,using around 10 grs of win231.Got 100% ignition,no hangfires,pierced primers or any of that stuff.Do you guys think i can use the LP primers for the 308 cast load?

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Pistol primers in rifle loads
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 02:46:39 AM »
I believe the depth of the large rifle primer pocket is a couple thousands deeper that large pistol. In a reduced load, like what your wanting to use, I don't think that pressure will be a problem, but getting the firing pin to hit the primer might be. The primer might be set to deep for the pin to hit it hard enough. IF, you try it, don't go over board. I would only load one or 2, and try it. And don't be surprised if you don't get a miss fire or 2 down the road.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pistol primers in rifle loads
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 12:54:52 PM »
I used standard pistol primers in my .300 Savage Contander for years in target loads with zero problems.  Why?  So that I could test the theory that lower primer brissance enhanced accuracy.  This was all the rage in the 1980s and many used the special Remington .308 BR cases with their small rifle primers to form wildcats (.22-243 CHeetah, etc.).  For me it was far easier to use pistol primers than it was to reform .308 BR brass.

How did the loads shoot?  Very well, perhaps slightly better than the loads with standard rifle primers.  Note that the .300 Savage was loaded to the 40,000CUP range safe for the Contender, but I used normal .300 Savage powders to do so.  These included H322, IMR4320, RL15, W748.  The primers looked fine, ES on the chronograph were low, accuracy was sub-moa - some loads agged close to 0.6 moa.  I never shot them below 45 degrees F, at lower temperatures they may or may not have ignition problems. 

BTW, The Contender does not have excessive firing pin protursion, so I doubt that you will have any issues with light primer strikes.