Author Topic: 96 D in 40 S&W  (Read 1147 times)

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
96 D in 40 S&W
« on: January 03, 2003, 06:45:17 PM »
Anyone carry or use a Beretta 96 D in 40 S&W?? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
96D
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2003, 05:22:21 PM »
PapaBear,

I appreciate the info. Ref. the 96D: I've never fired one either and was hoping to get some insight on the double action trigger pull ("D" model).

I agree that Beretta makes good stuff; Old world craftsmanship and modern technology come out of Brescia. I was fortunate to be able to tour the factory while stationed in Vicenza during the late 70's.  :agree:  :agree: .

I've yet to crank off the 40 S&W too. I've read that it is about on par with the 357. The 9mm is easy shooting and I like the Hi-Cap magazines because it is needed. You know going into a situation with a 9mm that it isn't a one shot stopper unless you get very lucky, but then it was never designed to be. I always figuired the 9mm as a triple-tapper or "beaker" at the minimum. The 45ACP has plenty of authority to do it if you keep your end of the equation, no doubt about that.

Offline Chad Shultz

• Trade Count: (0)
96 D in 40 S&W
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 12:21:11 PM »
Hi Buckeye.  I am a State Trooper and our issued weapon is a Beretta 96 Brigadier D.  in 40 S & W.  The trigger pull on the Beretta is long and about 9 1/2 pounds and is double action only.  In my opinion it is not condusive to any type of accuracy.  I shoot the Beretta very well but I practice more than the average guy.   I also carry a Glock 27 in 40 S & W as a back up piece.  If I had my way I would carry the Glock first and the Beretta second.  I think the Glock is a much better weapon for a police force.

I have nothing agaisnt Beretta I just do not like their trigger pull.  To shoot it accurately you have to do alot of concentration on sight picture and a smooth consistent pull.  In my line of work there is that chance that you are not going to be able to think, sight breath smooth pull.  Other than that I have not had any problems with malfunctions.

I do know of a number of troopers that have had problems though.  I know some of the problems dealt with ejection of cartriges and failures to fire.  I dont know if this problem was caused because of cleaning issues or what.  I do know the Beretta needs to be cleaned good and oiled well in order to function properly.  

As I said I shoot alot and I know after about 100 rounds my Beretta starts to ge sluggish ejecting the rounds.  My glock on the other hand has had up to 1000 rounds at one time and functioned like it was the first round.

Hope I have been helpful.

Chad

Offline Stan_TheGunNut

• Trade Count: (0)
96 D in 40 S&W
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 08:06:31 AM »
I have three Beretta pistols...one of which is a model 96.  I could have sworn the 96 was a 'D' model, but it's DA/SA, not DAO, so it may be a 96FS.  As far as reliability, I've put hundreds of rounds thru it before cleaning it, and never had any kind of problem.  I've never had a misfire, jam, stovepipe...or other malfunction with it either.  It's accurate enough, but not my most accurate pistol.  Recoil is mild, I guess partly because the pistol is rather large and heavy compared to some of the polymer models.  The double action trigger pull is long and hard...the single action still long, but quite a bit lighter.  The fixed sights are part of the problem.  Me being the one who pulls the trigger is another.  In general, I like the Beretta.  I would not hesitate to purchase another, though in pistols, there really aren't any that Beretta manufactures that I want and don't have.  My other two are a Model 21A (a little 22LR pocket pistol, and a 92FS).  Hope this helps.
Stan