Author Topic: To crimp or not?  (Read 480 times)

Offline HuntMeister

• Trade Count: (0)
To crimp or not?
« on: July 29, 2009, 03:24:57 PM »
Greetings all!

I am getting ready to load up some .243WSSM ammo with Hornady SST bullets. These will be fed thru a bolt gun. The SST does have a cannelure, do I need to crimp them or not?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
Re: To crimp or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 03:28:12 PM »
nope. i have fired a zillion centerfire rifle rounds. zero crimps.

no reason to, since the bullets are seated deep enough not to work their way out under recoil.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 03:48:41 PM »
No.

Offline goodconcretecolor

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 05:22:45 PM »
I crimp SSTs for my 30-06. It did improve my acuracy. If youdecide to try the crimp, back off 10% on yur powder charge and work your way back up. This is very important for a high intensity round likea WSSM.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 12:04:44 AM »
My quick answer is no, it's not necessary.

BUT, if your working up a load its would behove you to at least try crimping. Sometimes it has a positive benefit on accuracy and consistency of a given load. Doesn'T hurt to try as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 05:24:43 AM »
I say it depends....I crimped a couple batches of .223 for both me Rem700 LVSF and my Bushy match rifle.  I found it helps and I shoot s tighter group.  I also crimp for my 375HH.  No crimp for 45/70,06,270, 7x57 and 243.

Try it and see.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 06:49:43 AM »
I have Lee Factory Crimp dies for every caliber that I load for.  Admittedly, most of them are older levergun calibers, but I do load 30-06, 308, 243, and 7mm-08.  While I go thru an additional step using the LFC for the latter calibers, I guess what I do can't really be called an actual crimp.  More of a slight bump that kind of equalizes the tension around the bullet at the case mouth.  Just a little.  It seems to help in terms of slightly tighter groups.  Before LFC's came out on the market, I didn't bother to crimp for the boltgun calibers at all, and most loads still shot pretty well.