Author Topic: FA 97-22 Owners - Question for Ya'  (Read 1196 times)

Offline SingleFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
FA 97-22 Owners - Question for Ya'
« on: September 19, 2003, 08:37:03 AM »
I'm considering purchasing one of these and wanted feedback from existing owners.  I own a single six which shoots pretty good and am thinking about trying one of these out.

Is the 97-22 worth the money?  Will it significantly outperform my single six which shoots 1" at 25 yards.  (please skip all of the discussion about personal ability etc...I shoot well enough that if the gun is better it will show up in the field).

Do you have sporting chambers or match chamber?

Opinions on 5 1/2 or 7 1/2 bbl?
When the heart is light the feet are swift.

Offline braud357

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 09:53:04 AM »
Well, I do not own one, but have fired 2 different FA 252 (the correct model designation) on loan in IHMSA silhouette competition. Are they more accurate than your Single Six, I'LL SAY !!. The "American Rifleman" tested one a few years back, and the said that it was the most accurate .22 LR handgun that they had ever tested! It even beat expensive Olympic-style pistols. Is it worth the money - well, I suppose that depends on how much money you have ! The FA's are works of art, to be sure. I have lusted for one for a long time - but personally, I cannot justify the expense. But, I do think that they are worth it - because they DO shoot !

Offline braud357

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 10:00:40 AM »
Oops ! - I forgot to mention that the FA 252 is the big frame Model 83 - but, the small frame 97 should be every-bit as accurate as the big-frame gun, and probably more manageable in the field. And, get the match chambers - will maximize accuracy !

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 10:31:53 AM »
Hello Singlefan,

A few months ago I received my 97. I ordered the 5.5” version with express sights, micarta grips and the sporting chamber. Since then I have done away with the express sights and went to the standard Premier grade sights. At the moment I am disappointed with my 97. It failed to fully index the cylinder twice in about 1000 rounds resulting in the primer striking the cylinder face and cause the firing pin to break. And the cylinder has bound on me a few times’, the gun was clean at the time, while pulling the hammer back fully rearward. The accuracy of mine isn’t up to par with what I expect from FA. I would also opt for the match grade cylinder as opposed to the sporting one. I’ve shot 4 different types of ammo through my gun. The best I can get from my guns is ¾ of an inch at 25 yards off sandbags. I’m hoping the sight picture I was getting from the express sights is the culprit. I haven’t had a chance to shoot the premier grade sight. The firing broke before I received them. I haven’t shot it since.

Currently my gun is in the mail back to FA so they can look into the problem with the binding and the cylinder not locking up. While it’s there I’m going to have an action job performed and also have them shoot different types of ammo and return their test targets with the gun. This is my third FA. My other two are 83’s. This is the first trouble I have ever had with a FA gun. I’m more than positive that FA will do what it takes to satisfy me.

Even though I’ve had problems with mine I would still recommend the 97.

Good luck and be safe,
Scott

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 02:41:20 PM »
I’ve shot 4 different types of ammo through my gun. The best I can get from my guns is ¾ of an inch at 25 yards off sandbags.

Sorry about that... I've shot 4 different types of ammo through my gun. The best I an get from my gun is 1 1/4 @ 25 yards however the factory target measures 3/4 of an inch.

I must admit when I first saw the factory target I was disapointed. My bigbore guns came from FA with one hole groups. I expceted smaller groups than 3/4 of an inch out of the 97/22 after everything I had read about them and from experiance with my bigger guns.

Good luck and be safe,
Scott

Offline SingleFan

• Avid Poster
That's Helpful
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 06:01:29 AM »
Forgot to mention that my TC 12" match grade barrel in 22 lr is a one holer.

I think I'm going to stick with that and consider other calibers for my forray into an FA revolver.

I'm sure the 97-22 would be great, but as I think about it, it's unlikely it will shoot better than my TC, which shoot better than the Kimber I sold.
Was looking to maybe upgrade my .22 revolver, but in hind sight, don't think it's worth the coin.
When the heart is light the feet are swift.

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 10:08:40 AM »
I heard back from FA today about my 97/22. They said the cylinder binding was due to the firing pin being dammaged. They suspect the firing pin striking the cylinder face is due to going from half cock to full cock after loading the cylinder. They fixed me up and shot green tag and Llaupa (sp) ammo through it. The groups with both brands  measured .800". They said after shooting it somemore thae groups would shrink to .500". I may also find some ammo that will group tighter. I'm looking to try some CCI standar velocity ammo. I hear they shoot real good and are cheap. My gun should be here early next week. They are also covering the shpping charges for the way back.

Good luck and be safe,
Scott