Author Topic: Weaver 3x9 AO Rimfire Scope  (Read 2747 times)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Weaver 3x9 AO Rimfire Scope
« on: June 21, 2009, 02:49:14 AM »
Hi  All,

I just got a new 10/22 Altemonte...it's kinda cool in that it has a french walnut stock (with a rollover cheek piece and schnaubel forend) and a 20" barrel.  I'd like to put some glass on it.  Since it's a 22lr, I'd like to put a greater than 6x scope and expect all of my shooting to be under 100yrds (closed to 25 or 50 I expect).  I have a 12x leupold, but it's kinda big and is out of proportion.  I was also looking at the Weaver classic 4x14 which is used by a lot of rimfire target shooters, but again it's big.

I saw that weaver makes a 3x9 AO rimfire scope that appears, size wise, about right. I like the AO feature because I like to be able to shoot 25yrds at a high power and can focus.  The gun is destined to be a high end plinker/varminter (squirrels maybe) and not looking for an ultra accurate competition gun.

Any opinions in this scope???
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline hotrunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Weaver 3x9 AO Rimfire Scope
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 03:20:07 PM »
I looked at one of those AO Weavers and was impressed--very sharp and clear view. Have also heard the Clearidge 3-9AO is equal to or better and will give the $400 Weaver a run for its money. May have some trouble finding dealers, though.

Offline hotrunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »
Oops! Meant to say the $400 LEUPOLD 3-9X AO!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 04:32:17 PM »
Thanks Hot....I'm beginning to lean toward a 4x14 AO weaver.  We'll see.

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
I have the 3-9x33 AO on my CZ452
GREAT little scope
my sons 452 scout has the 2-7 weaver rimfire classic
good stuff

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:37:46 AM »
Hmmmm....decisions decisions......I have the 4x14 on the rifle now and it's way too big and looks out of place.  I think...always subject to change...I'll get the 3x9 as I lke the AO.

I'm gett'n like a woman.....

Offline Zachary

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 03:52:20 PM »
I have that Weaver 3x-9x scope and it is a wonderful little scope.  Clear and Bright and very accurate.  I have it mounted on my CZ American in .22LR.  I highly recommend that scope for such applications.

Zachary

Offline Buck-Ridge

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 07:22:59 AM »
I too have 3x9 rimfire AO on my CZ 452 22 Lr and I am very pleased with it. It focuses in very close and is very clear and bright. I use Leupolds on my big guns and It compares to them very nicely .

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 10:17:29 AM »
I have a few of the Weaver 3-9X38 V9 scopes on a few rifles.  I really like them.
I have a few rifles with the AO and have replaced the 6-18X40 bushnell I had on a 22 Hornet with the Weaver and am a lot happier.
with the standard scope i can bounce ack and forth in range on grounds squirrels and other varmints with out having to reach up and screw with the front of the scope guessing distance.
Hope it helps.  I also like the way the 38mm looks on the smaller frame rifles.  They are clear and bright.  I know I am giving up a little accuracy using big game scopes on the rimfires, but it is not enough for me to notice or care.
Had I known of this scope before I stuck a 3-9x40 VarXII on my 10/22T it too would be wearing one.
Another neat Weaver is the 2.5-7X32.  I am looking for anothe CZ 16" american in 22LR to stick one of these on for a grey squirrel rifle.  I have one of these on a 16" T/C 223 carbine barrel.  The small scope looks right on the little tube.
I also like the fixed power 4X38 and the 6X38 for rimfire rifles.
I have the 6X on an H&R handi in 22 Mag.  Great rabbit rifle

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 04:20:57 PM »
Thanks guys,

I just got the weaver 3x9AO for my 10/22.  I'll mount it as soon as it comes back from CT Precision Chambering where it's getting an accuracy package and trigger job,  I also have a 4x14AO that'll go on a Ruger 77/22Khornet just as soon as I sell my 77/17 and rebuy the hornet!!!!