Author Topic: Problem with stuck cases, new to me .243  (Read 615 times)

Offline ndindy

• Trade Count: (0)
Problem with stuck cases, new to me .243
« on: July 22, 2009, 04:27:36 PM »
I picked up a .243 a few weeks ago and began taking it to the range yesterday.  1st round yesterday and a FTE.  I didn't have a rod with me, so that pretty much ended my day.  Once home the casing popped out with just the weight of the rod sliding down the barrel, no signs of excessive pressure on the brass.  After ejecting the brass slid in and out of the chamber without sticking at all.  

Back to the range today, rod in hand. I found that roughly 1/2 the rounds would end up with a very difficult to work barrel release and then fail to eject.  All the brass looks fine, no signs of pressure.  I broke down the rifle at the range and cleaned and oiled, no change.  When it does eject, it does so with authority.  I definitely prefer the extractor on my .223/45-70.  

All rounds fired ended up with a small ridge around the primer crater, but I believe that's more of a face problem than a sign of high pressure.  

My current plan is a new loading with the lightest recipe I can find, but I'm not anticipating an improvement.  I've had 0 issues with my other handi, so not too sure where to go with this one.

Suggestions short of sending it off?  

*edit* forgot to add, this is all new brass and full length sized.  I'll post the current recipe shortly.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Problem with stuck cases, new to me .243
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 04:53:31 PM »
This is probably the most commonly stuck case ejector type Handi.  There are some suggestions in the FAQ's that will probably help, but the real fix was when H&R went to the extractor type barrels.  Good luck, you and about a thousand other Handi owners are looking for the ultimate solution.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline dieselten

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 05:01:11 PM »
i polished the chamber with 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bore brush.  did it by hand not with a drill.  it solved my non-ejection problem.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 05:18:21 PM »
Heard of this.  Maybe also consider, instead of steel wool, flitz on a cotton swab chucked in a drill.  Tape the swab to mark depth, and use a good light to track your progress.  Stay away from the lands.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline ndindy

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:26:15 PM »
I flat out KNEW there was an issue out there when I bought the rifle, but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was when I was at the auction.  I just wanted another handi and another .243.  I don't suppose NEF will change out an ejector for an extractor will they?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:02:33 PM »
Nope, the underlugs are cut different but anyone with some basic shop skills can convert it to a factory extractor, costs about $30 for parts, see the FAQs, there's also ejector help, I've not had a stuck case in years, even in the three 243 H&Rs I own, tune the ejector and polish the chamber per the FAQs, keep the chamber and ammo clean and it will work fine unless there's a defect in the chamber or your loads are too hot,  if there is a defect H&R will replace the barrel which will be an extractor.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 02:22:43 AM »
I agree, check the FAQ's, polish the chamber, put a BB in front of the ejector spring, and regarding this:

"I broke down the rifle at the range and cleaned and oiled, no change."

try a clean and DRY chamber, not coated in gun oil, that should lessen chamber sticking.

I am a bit concerned about the slight ridge around the primer with no signs of excessive pressure, could it be that the gun you bought is on a shotgun frame? Check the frame to be sure it is a high pressure rifle frame with the smaller firing pin....<><....:)

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:02:01 AM »
That's why all but one of mine are extractors.  I have not patience for stuck shells or hunting for them in grass or snow or both.  The stuck shell always happens at the wrong time and is a real pain in the butt.  Although, I gotta say the ejector .44 mag has given no problems after about 200 rounds.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline ndindy

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 01:15:52 PM »
I'm not a fan of ejectors.  I hate chasing brass.  But I'm going to break it down and do the work in the next day or so and then back to the range.  Odds are really good that even it's working correctly there's an extractor conversion in it's future.  Thanks for pointing the direction, I'll post an update when she'd done.

I'll double check the frame as well.  It was an auction piece so there's no telling, but I'm assuming it's ok.  From the performance I would guess that this was rarely shot and spent it's life in a closet.  Most folks would just give up instead of look for a fix.  All I knew for sure was that I wanted another handi, needed a .243 for a loaner rifle for this fall and it was the only rifle in the auction that didn't look like people were storing dryer lint in their barrels.  So it all seemed so right :laugh:

Offline ndindy

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 08:08:51 PM »
So polished the ejector, added the BB, and shot until I was tender this afternoon.  I can probably drop a deer at 30 yards with ejected brass.  It's def. getting an extractor in the future  ;D

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 12:59:26 AM »
I hate ejectors for shooting in the snow. I lose so much brass and when I am really out of it, loaded ammo will fly 10 feet too.

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 03:21:37 AM »
There's really a simple solution to the ejector problem.  They should have built them like the Huntsman and put a rod under the barrel ;D ;D  Generaly they don't stick, but when they do, it's a problem, and it's unexpected.  Give me an extractor, I can pick em out with my teeth if I have to.  No uncertainty.  The .44 Mag hasn't let me down yet, but I'm sure if I have a deer flopping around needing a second shot it will.  It's just waiting for the right time.  None of us has mentioned the temperature factor relevant to ejectors.  I'm sure when you're hunting in ten above to 20 below, the incidents of stuck shells is going to increase.  That's when we kill the most deer here..........it's called the "Quick Freeze Method".......shoot em, gut em, cut em, and they're frozen ;)

Pete 

Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491