Author Topic: iver johnson 32 breakopen  (Read 943 times)

Offline jburris2001

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
iver johnson 32 breakopen
« on: January 09, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »
a friend of mine has one, very good shape and wants $75 dollars for it. what is the value of these. i beleive it is the second model the owl on the handle faces the barrel. any info would be appreciated.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: iver johnson 32 breakopen
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
I don't know very much about them but I have one. I am going to try to find some .32 S&W ammo for it. I think that is what it is chambered for, it is a .32 but is unmarked as far as the cartridge it takes....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 03:22:01 AM »
Without the model name/number it's a little hard to be sure but it sounds like a pretty decent deal.
By the way welcome to Greybeards forum.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline dogngun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 04:14:23 AM »
The second model is designed for black powder cartridges, but the gun will tolerate some use with modern ammo - it may eventually stretch or get a bit loose, but won't "explode" or anything.
They are very well designed, have rebounding hammers very similar to the Ruger revolver design, but made in the 1880's - I have a 2nd model in .38 S&W made in 1889, and I really like it a lot.

FWIW, the .32 S&W is rated around 90 ft/lbs., more than  the .25 auto pistol cartridge. It was a real competitor with the early .25's, and a lot of these small revolvers were sold because they were more reliable and a bit more powerful ( with more penetration) than the autos.
 Many working and business people bought and used them for personal protection from the 1880's till WWII, and I think they are very interesting because of that.

mark

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 06:58:53 AM »
If the second model was designed for black powder what was the first model designed for? How many models were produced? How can I differentiate between a first model and a second model? Which model is the safest to use with modern factory ammo?...Thanks....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline dogngun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 07:30:54 AM »
The smokeless powder Iver Johnsons top break revolvers will have a coil  main spring, and started around 1910-earlier models (first and second, IIRC) have flat steel springs. There is not very much information on these old guns, but this is THE BEST SITE on the net for what there is:

http://iverjohnsoncollector.x10hosting.com/

They are certainly worth $75 in working condition.

mark