Author Topic: Detailed info on carronades, many drawings  (Read 583 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Detailed info on carronades, many drawings
« on: August 06, 2009, 04:18:55 AM »

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Detailed info on carronades, many drawings
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:26:34 AM »
Then of course I wanted to find out more on the book this chapter is in, so here are four reviews.  I decided I should buy it if I can find it for about $25. or less, and it looks like I can.  If it helps me find out something new about even one piece in my collection, it is well worth that.  I have a fat ugly English 24-pounder carronade of a style I've never seen documented, so maybe it'll have something on that one.

http://www.amazon.com/Arming-Fitting-English-Ships-1600-1815/product-reviews/0870210092/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Detailed info on carronades, many drawings
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:40:39 AM »
I came across this book some time ago, and after I viewed everything that was available in the online review I put in a request for a copy with our public library system; it took a slab of time before they got the book in, but it was worth the wait, as you said it is a fine source, especially for drawings. This is the book B. Smith recommended (for info on the history of the carronade) a few days ago on the carronader thread.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.