Author Topic: Scope for 17 HMR?  (Read 901 times)

Offline Mauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Scope for 17 HMR?
« on: July 21, 2009, 09:02:33 AM »
I tried to see if this has been answered before without success, so I'm going to ask now.  I'm looking for a good quality scope for a 17 HMR rifle I have.  Thanks in advance for any advice I can get on this.

Offline BR549

Re: Scope for 17 HMR?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:26:45 AM »
There seems to be quite a few that would do the job.  I use a Mueller APV an am totally satisfied with it.  It is 4.5 X 14 with an AO at a very reasonable price.  It is not the only choice, of course, but it is one that would have to be considered.  I think they can be had for around $114.  So, this would give you a good base line to work from.

Offline Slowpoke Slim

• Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:30:31 PM »
I think we need more information first. Like what kind of shooting and at what distances. Also, what's your version of "good quality"? Not trying to sound smart, but it's a subjective thing. Some are satisfied if there's light at the end of the tunnel and you can make out a target shape. Some are not. I've read some folks accounts in what they have called "good" scopes that I wouldn't put on a daisy red ryder bb gun and hand to a 12 year old. What kind of scopes do you have now, and are you happy with those quality levels? What kind of money are you budgeted for? Optics is one of the few places where you almost always get your money's worth every single time. That $300 scope is almost always REALLY twice as good as that $150 scope. The scope has to fit the application also.

I have a Pentax 4-14x gameseeker scope on my 17 hmr carbine barrel right now. It's kind of cheap, quite frankly a little too cheap, and if I'd have looked through it first before I bought it (online sale), I probably would have passed. It'll stay on there for now, but it will get traded off for a better scope at some point in time. None of this has any bearing on what might be the right scope for YOU.

Offline Mauser

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:23:42 AM »
Sorry, I should have given more info.  I use the rifle (along with others) for my annual prairie dog shoot in S. Dakota where the ranges (for that rifle) will be from around 75 to around 200 yards.  Also I do some pest shooting around my house and an occasional coyote hunt.  In other words, pretty much the range of uses one would expect from a 17 HMR.

As to my definition of quality, I don't know that I have a good one when it comes to optics.  I have owned more Leupolds than any other make and have never had a bad one.  I would buy another one but I'm having trouble justifying that $$$ for a rimfire rifle.  On a rifle that will be used in harsh conditions on an expensive big game hunt--another story entirely.

Also, I could use some opinions as to the magnification folks like and whether they like an AO or not...

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 02:43:25 AM »
The APV is a great choice but about any good 3-12AO will be good I've even got a 2-7 on one of mine stays put at the 7 mostly. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 04:09:05 PM »
I like a 4x12 or 14 with an AO.  I should think a bushnell banner would be just great as well as the meuller.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 02:37:59 AM »
I have a Bushnell elite 4200 4 X 16 on my Savage 93R17 Bvss.  I've got more money in the scope than I do in the gun, but the results are as expected. 

You can't hit it if you can't see it......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 06:35:15 AM »
Amen Victor!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Sagebrush Burns

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 05:03:47 PM »
Try the Leupold VX-l 4-12.  It is a good power range for the 17HMR, the Leupold quality is there and the price is quite reasonable.  It's what I have on my 17 and I am pleased with it.

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 02:00:20 AM »
Mueller APV. I have 2 of them and they are excellent!
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline minker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 03:42:56 PM »
have any of you used any of the sweet .17 scopes on the market ?

cabela's sold a pine ridge model and bsa is currently selling one ( they look the same )

i've had 2 people tell me had a hard time getting them sighted in even bore sighting them first .

Mark D. Stackhouse

Offline bcraig

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
Hi, I use a Simmons whitetail classic 6.5-20 on my 17. Scope is very clear and parralax adjustment works great.scope is very durable with a lot of people using on centerfire rifles/cost you about $115.00 from midway . read the reports for this scope off the midway site and I think you wil be impressed/ I have mine mounted on on a Savage 17 HMR BVSS using Leupold horizontal split rifleman rings (about $18.00 from wal-mart).The only downside is the scope is very big.Craig

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 11:51:48 PM »
Quote from: Sagebrush Burns link=topic=178497.msg 1098864376#msg 1098864376 date=1249355027
Try the Leupold VX-l 4-12.  It is a good power range for the 17HMR, the Leupold quality is there and the price is quite reasonable.  It's what I have on my 17 and I am pleased with it.

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!

There are cheaper scopes out there, most will do the job. Its just a matter of what your willing to "settle" on. IIRC, you know the attributes of the Leupold line. As someone once wrote on here, "I cannot afford NOT to go Leupold."

What ever you choose, one thing I strongly advise is a Adjustable Objective. With smaller calibers shots less then 100 yards are VERY common. The accuracy attainable with this firearm will be nicely complimented with the "AO" scope. Dont let a parralax problem ruin your accuracy.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.