Author Topic: Please be on the lookout for  (Read 350 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Please be on the lookout for
« on: August 09, 2009, 05:07:54 AM »
Please be on the lookout for any information that may relate to this small bronze mortar.  It looks to me like some kind of experimental or laboratory item, test fixture, etc.  There are two vents and one adjustable chamber.  The cascabel can be moved in and out, then locked with the screw to make a longer or shorter chamber.  One vent at a time can be closed with the looped wire shown in one of them. 

Dimensions: 
Bore 1.34 inches
Total length:  3.7 in. o/a not including cascabel
Largest diameter o.d.:  1.9 in.

How you can help:  When you are looking through books on cannons, websurfing, etc. please keep on the lookout for info on this mortar, or similar items.  I've had this for 25 years and haven't found any information on it, but it could turn out to be something "important" like the various items used by Count Rumford or whomever.  I have to admit I've never sat down and done a "dedicated" research project on it, just never had the time, so I'm going to see if you turn up anything using all the combined eyes and brains out there.

The white marks on the wood stand show the number assigned when it was on loan by the former owner, to the Fort Ticonderoga museum.  He was a friend of the Pell family and loaned them a substantial cannon model collection.  I'm not at all sure it would ever have been used on the light wooden stand it now occupies, which seems too light and flimsy in comparison to the very solidly-built bronze mortar tube.

Slideshow of the mortar:

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums41/?action=view&current=ebc0c768.pbw