Author Topic: Brushhunter & everyone- Shooting slugs questions  (Read 843 times)

Offline Huntrap_MT

• Trade Count: (0)
Brushhunter & everyone- Shooting slugs questions
« on: September 16, 2003, 07:43:34 PM »
Brushhunter or anyone, One year I wanted to try shooting slugs out of my Winchester model 1200 in 12 gauge with screw-in choke system, so I could slip in a slug if I had spotted deer while hunting birds.  Anyway, I refrained from doing so, cause I thought that you had to shoot these from special type shotguns such as ones with rifleing. In a post I noticed Brushhunter say that a slug would not hurt shotguns, but does that mean any standard smoothbore? Can I use my 12 guage smoothie and shoot slugs out of it without any problems? If so, what chokes can you have use to shoot slugs with? I would imagine a full choke would be a no no! Please, anyone, give me any info on this topic so I can finaly try to shoot slugs from my shotgun. Thanks in advance.

Huntrap
"I hunt not to kill, but rather to have not played golf."  
-Orlando "Squawfish" de Gaskett

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
Brushhunter & everyone- Shooting slugs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 04:50:26 AM »
Yeah, you can shoot slugs out of it.  I would suggest starting with the imp. cyl. choke tube, then buy some five packs of winchester foster slugs, remington sluggers,  federals, brennekes, and lightfields.   Bench them at 50 yds. to see which is most accurate.  I'd stay away from the more expensive sabot slugs, because GENERALLY they shoot best in fully rifled slug barrels.   You will find out that shotguns can be very finicky about the load they will shoot the most accurately.  Hope this helps.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline BH

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 08:21:34 AM »
Mad Dog's advice is right on.  However, although the Imp. Cyl. choke will most likely provide the best accuracy as he states, if your hunting your birds with some other choke and slipping a slug in when the opportunity arrises, I'd do my accuracy testing with that choke.  And, I'd emphasis his recommendation to try the different brands of fosters.  Not all, but I'd say most, shotguns are very particular about what you feed them when it comes to slugs.

Bob
It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Offline Huntrap_MT

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 06:43:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, you've been very helpful, but I am wondering, roughly, what maximum range can you get out of a slug fired from a 12 gauge improved on deer?  Any idea?

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 02:54:28 AM »
Your limitation will come as much from the bead site on your shotgun, as the slug.  Your setup should be good for 80-100yds.  My specialized slug gun with a cantilevered scope mount and scope is good to about 150 yds.  As a matter of fact, I killed a 140 class buck, that weighed over 200 lbs., last year at a stepped off 135 yds.  Here in Indiana, it is shotgun only, no rifles, and I have killed about 35 with either a shotgun, or a muzzleloader.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline Huntrap_MT

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 07:19:57 AM »
Mad Dog, that sounds like some serious range coming from a shotgun, I would have never guessed.  I supposed a slug is loaded with a much much heavier powder charge than is used to propel bird shot?  Or does it take less powder charge to propel a solid object than it does many pieces of shot?

Even though I may be the only man in the entire state of MT that would shove a slug in thier shotgun, I just may make it a small habit when it comes time for meat season.  At a certian time of year I really go to town acquiring meat and if I could find a way that I could intermix deer with birds in this period, by only switching loads (which would not take long, but would be a little noisy) I could get a lot more accomplished in this critical period.  Do any of you have advice on this kid of a hunting system?  Also, what load(s) would you suggest I try with my 12 gauge Winchester model 1200 for deer at close jumping ranges?

Huntrap

Offline savageT

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 01:24:49 PM »
Huntrap,
I use an 12 ga. Ithaca 37 Deerslayer pump w/ 20 inch smoothbore barrel.  It has an IC choke, but I would put it up against any modern rifled barrel out there.  I used to use a foster(that's a rifled slug) shell made by ACTIV and it was deadly out to 75 yds.  I can't get them any longer, but have found Federals or Remingtons to work out almost as well.  Keep your effective distance for those jump shots inside 50yds. with those bead sights and you should easily knock em down.  Yes, they generally kick pretty well with about 1800fps at the muzzle.  Remington just came out with a reduced velocity 12 ga. Slugger that is a little easier on the shoulder.  With a 1 oz. hollowpoint slug, I wouldn't worry about effective knockdown energy. Just don't try to make a long distance flat shooter out of that Winchester.  Good Luck, and take some time at the range w/a handfull of different make slugs and give it a go!

Jim
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Slugs in a smoothbore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 05:20:52 AM »
Huntrap - that's all I shoot and have not missed yet, even at the longer ranges of up to 100 yds.  I shoot two 12 gauges, both Remingtons:  one is an older 1100 and the other an 870.  I don't bother with 3" shells, the 2&3/4 do just fine for me all the way out to 100 yds.  I sight my smoothies in at 50 yds, with both guns each giving me one large hole for a group with standard Remington Sluggers.  I just make certain I know what the drop is for those slugs at the longer distances.  Even if the slug drops up to 6" at 100 yds, it still knocks them right down.  You just can't argue with an ounce and a quarter of lead.  You shouldn't have any problems with slugs in your Winchester.

But, take a couple of boxes out to the range with you and see if they print you a good group.  I have a friend with a Winchester autoloader that shoots 3 into the target and the next two go over the top of the target.  Go figure.  Good luck.  Mikey.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2003, 09:24:07 AM »
:D I've used slugs a lot since south east Wisconsin is all slug area. I've shot squirrels and then a couple deer on a short walk with my 870. Winchester 2 3/4 slugs work best for me. You are somewhat limited by what sites you use.