Author Topic: Aol guestion  (Read 1601 times)

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Aol guestion
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »
  When i get an email on Aol it use to say you have mail. If someone on my buddy list signed on it sounded like a door opening. It no longer does this. Other people that have Aol tell me theirs still does this. Any ideas what i have done to shut this off? Thanks for any help.
           bobg ???

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Aol guestion
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:56:31 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:21:41 AM »
    Thanks quick. I tried it last night. It still doesn't work. I gave up. I will get someone more computer smart than me to take a look at it. Thanks again.
    bobg

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 05:28:09 AM »
Does the sound work for other apps?

Tim

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:42:25 AM »
   Some times it does some times it doesn't. I can play a CD and they work. Other times they don't work. I think i have turned something off but don't know what. It is hell to be computer stupid.
              bobg

Offline jandbn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 05:46:28 PM »
I don't want to sound condesending, but have you tried a reboot? We have people at work that don't reboot for weeks or months. Then when they call in to the Help Desk  with a computer problem, the first thing they are asked is when the compturer was rebooted. They are usually asked to reboot before sending for reinforcements. Rebooting has solved many computer problems.

If you reboot and the sound works again, great. If it starts to work right away and then quits, you may have a process that is getting hung up in memory and may not be very easy to fix.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 05:58:02 AM »
    Thanks for the help folks. I have tried everything and it still doesn't work. I guess it really isn't important to have it work anyway.
     bobg

Offline jandbn

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 12:43:06 PM »
You may have a little speaker icon in your System Tray where the clock is. If you do, right-click on the speaker and select Volume Control. If you do not have a little speaker in the System Tray, go into the Control Panel and open Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices > Sound and Audio Devices if in the Control Panel is in XP View or Sounds and Audio Devices if in Classic View. When you open the Properties window for Sounds and Audio Devices Properties, on the Volume tab, check to see that Mute is not selected in Device volume. If you want the little speaker by the clock, put a check mark in the "Place volume icon in task bar" box.

Select the Advanced button in the Device volume. Selecting the Advanced button will open the Volume Control panel (Volume Control from first sentence above). Hopefully you will see the Volume Control along with Wave and CD Player. Remove any check marks in the Mute boxes.

On the Volume tab, you can also select the Speaker Volume button and make sure the sliders are over to the right 1/2 to 3/4 of the way. Also check the Audio tab in the Properties window and see if there is a Default device listed under Sound Playback.

Hope this helps.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 07:27:35 AM »
  Here i go again. If i click on the little speaker icon it says.
                 Speaker
           High Definition Device Working.
  Still no sound. This really has me bugged now. Sorry for bothering people so much with my dumb questions.
                bobg :-[

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »
Do you have intermittent power to the speakers by chance? I have mine on a power strip, sometimes it gets turned off.  :-\

Tim

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »
 Tim. Yes it is plugged into a power strip. The computer is also. So i know the strip is on. Maybe i will try new speakers. Not sure if this would help. I am on my third computer and these are the original speakers.
            bobg

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 12:25:01 PM »
Check the speaker connection at the back of the PC, sometimes the bayonet will not make good contact causing intermittent loss of connection. Of course this is all moot if sound loss is just with the AOL sounds.  :-\

Tim

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 05:40:01 AM »
    Tim. You may have something there. Anything with sound doesn't work on AOL. I also have Verizon but i can't find anything on there with sound to try it out on. If Verizon was easier to navagate i would dump AOL in a heart beat. Thanks for helping folks. You sure have given it your best. It has all been appreciated. Thanks again.
                    bobg

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 02:27:46 AM »
   I called Verizon yesterday. I have sound on Verizon and Yahoo. I called AOL. They told me it wasn't there problem. Tried to blame it on Verizon. Looks like that is the kind of help you can expect from AOL
           bobg >:(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 04:48:27 AM »
 :-\

Offline jandbn

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 05:08:45 AM »
bobg,

If you go through the steps from AOL to enable sound for new email, do you hear sound when selecting Preview sound? The steps are here: http://help.aol.com/help/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=223311&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_AOLHOW_TO_1_1&dialogID=48964419&stateId=1%200%2048976829

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 09:06:33 AM »
 I am back again. I called AOL this morning. They run me through the same thing jandbn told me to do. I did everything the man said to do. He told me ok you now have sound. BS i still don't have any sound on AOL. I have given up on AOL.
             bobg >:(

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »
You might try uninstalling AOL then reinstalling it, or just do as you suggested, uninstall it and use something else!!  :D

Tim

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 02:13:37 AM »
  My sound is back. Clicked on the speaker icon. It came up sound mixer. Clicked on that and bingo i had sound. Thanks again for all of your help.
            bobg ;D