Author Topic: 240gr .308 cast bullet  (Read 886 times)

Offline Billy Marr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.bbtcastbulletsales.com
240gr .308 cast bullet
« on: December 20, 2002, 05:24:35 AM »
Robert had asked if I could make one. Well he has gotten me thinking. As he posted I will need  a minimum order say 1500 bullets to justify this venture.
What I have done is contact Sierra as I belive the make the best profile 240gr match bullet. They were kind enough to provide the demensions of the pertinant areas of there product.
So then I contacted Lee wich I belive makes some of the best mould blocks around. They will cut the bullet in one of my blocks if possible wich saves us time and money. If not the will build a block to fit my needs.
The blocks will be based on a Lyman set up so if some one wants the same mould we can work it out through me. As they will want one order from one local. Price yet to be determined. They will let me know prior to cutting the moulds.
So here is what I am doing today I will be hand cutting a mould ( I have no lathe) this will entail some other bullets and things that would scare you if you knew. Once the bullet is cast I will post pictures hopefully today.
I will then take bullet to the range for testing in my 30BR 1in 10 twist Contender. I can duplicate whisper al the way to what the hell was I thinking with this cartdrige. This will be done this weekend. If the bullet works  and I have enough intrest I send things to Lee.  
How is that for you guys.
lead bullets done right

Offline Aladin

Re: 240gr .308 cast bullet
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 07:08:28 AM »
Billy that 240 I think takes a 9 twist barrel per Sierra's recommender. I do know a barrel maker who sez a 10 works and I'd think in a cast you'd probably be ok.

I have some ideas for a LR efficent flight bullet if ya wanna compare some notes. E me if your interested.
Aladin

"that's my story and I'm stick'n to it"

Offline Robert

Billy, Thank You for your efforts......
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2002, 11:11:22 AM »
You mentioned calling Sierra for some specs, are you experimenting with flat-base round-nose style or boat-tail points?  This is getting really interesting, I talked to a few other people that seem to think a boat-tail isnt any better than a flat-base and some times the flat is better inside of 100 yds.  I would really be interested in what comes out of you and Aladin  swapping notes, sounds like he has some good ideas too.
....make it count