Author Topic: Lee Precision .329 Mold for M95 Styer  (Read 629 times)

Offline Doctor Sam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lee Precision .329 Mold for M95 Styer
« on: September 30, 2003, 07:06:37 PM »
Has anyone obtained this mold for use in the 8X56R Styer carbine?  Is it round nose or spitzer, GC or PB?  
What loads work best for you?
I sure would like to hear about it before I order one.
Many thanks.
Doctor Sam

IN GOD WE TRUST
Dr. Sam

Offline BR

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 01:28:59 AM »
I bought one, but haven't tried it yet. The nose is about .240" long, and starts with a taper, ending in a round nose of about one half bullet diameter. Behind the nose is a straight (bore-riding?) section about .3" long, and then a .45" length of full diameter with 2 lube grooves and a gas check space. I'll get around to using it one day .....

Offline Doctor Sam

• Avid Poster
.329 mold
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 07:14:27 AM »
Looking at the military ammo and that cigar of a case in the clip I'm thinking that a round nose will not feed worth a hoot.  I would think a long spitzer would work much better.  Too bad Lee didn't build one.
Keep us informed if you try this.
Many thanks.
Doctor Sam
Dr. Sam

Offline richp41

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 04:50:34 AM »
The Lee .329 bullet is excellent and accurate in my rifles. It casts about 205 grs and I've sized it for everything from .329" down. Spitzer shapes are difficult to cast and not nearly as accurate as round nose bullets.

Offline Doctor Sam

• Avid Poster
.329 bullet
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 06:02:27 AM »
Thanks Rich.  Any feeding problems?  What is your OCL?
What loads are you using?
Dr. Sam

Offline richp41

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 03:35:22 PM »
I haven't had any feeding problems at all. I use this bullet in a variety of rifles and size them down as far as .325". This unusual size reduction is done in 2 steps since a single sizing reduction puts far too much strain on my Lyman sizer.  I have several Mausers that have measured bore sizes as large as .329" including a pristine Persian Mauser. This rifle loves this bullet and the affects of sizing have not proven to be detrimental to accuracy. OAL is based upon seating to allow the bullet to press into the rifling slightly. This has generally proven beneficial with most lead bullet loads. I use SR4759 almost exclusively with lead bullets and start at 16 grs. and work up from there. Last time out 18 grs. showed promise in a good barreled K98. Lead alloy is wheel weights with an additional 2% of both antimony and tin. I may try this bullet on deer this year but I'll need to soften the alloy up a fair amount. This would be for woods hunting with a milsurp at a max range of 75 to 100 yards. Rich P