Author Topic: Lubing "as cast" bullets  (Read 1331 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Lubing "as cast" bullets
« on: July 31, 2009, 09:11:59 AM »
I got a RCBS 45 cal RNFP from Joe (oldgoat) here on GBO, Thanks Joe!, and the mould come complete with 2 cast bullets!   :D  Since I had bought the mould with loading for my 2 SAA's in mind, these bullets were a bonus and I couldn't wait to mike them!  Remember, one of my SAA's has .455 throats and the other has .456 throats.  I found that the bullets as cast came out an even, and as advertised, .454.  I was a happy camper!   ;D

So happy in fact, I wanted to shoot the two bullets to compare their accuracy with that of similar (store bought) bullets I have that are sized .452.  But the 2 I had just wouldn't be enough.   :(  I would have to cast more.

So what's the problem you say!?  A little background here.  I'm set up for round ball casting for my BP guns.  No sizing/lubing stuff at all.  Matter of fact this mould and the other I bought with it are the only things of a non-RB nature I own!   :-[  This is because as little cast bullet shooting as I do it really wouldn't make much (economic) sense for me to buy a bunch of sizing/lubing stuff.  I believe Lloyd has made this point several times, I believe him and my wife thanks him...  :P

Hi-ebber, and day always be a hi-ebber, as I was standing in my gun room last night, gazeing at those beatiful bullets, my eyes clouded over, I broke into a sweat, my breath started coming in gasps and wild thoughts went racing through my brain!  BTW, this happens to me a lot since I started hanging around here at GBO, and the feeling usually ends up costing me money.  :-[

Now I know that you are probably asking yourself "self, why'd the dern fool buy 2 moulds he ain't got no use for no way!?   ::) "  Well, I'm not going to answer that insulting question!   >:(  <not until I can think of an answer anyway...  :-[ >

The point is I really want to shoot a few of those bullets in my SAA's and maybe my M73.  Last night I knew I could cast some more and that sizing isn't an issue, so the only problem was that I had to get them lubed!  Being the inventive type, I dug out a stick of hard lube and filled the grooves by hand!  Just like I do with soft lube and my BP R.E.A.L. bullets.  What a pain! ... and not something I would prefer to do 50 - 100 times!

So!  Is there an easy way to lube cast bullets without the press/die/punch type whatchamacallits?  I don't like the idea of the Alox (?) roll on lubricant, I want it in the grooves!  And I'll order some LBT blue which is what I want to use!

What about standing them up in a pan and pouring melted lube around them?  Then cutting them out with a cookie cutter type thingy?  Remember, I'm only talking 50 -100 bullets or so here.  If I like the way they act I can get a Lee lube/size die and still save money!

Any ideas?
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Lubing "as cast" bullets
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 11:17:27 AM »
DO it, it's called pan-lubing. I did plenty of it before I got my first lubesizer. Just get a cartridge case a little bigger than the bullet to cut them out with. You can cut off the case head so the bullets come out the other end, or drill out the primer pocket and use a nail through it to push the bullets back out. I don't know how well LBT lube works for pan-lubing, but alox 50/50 works just fine. You have to be careful heating the lube so it won't catch fire on you, a double boiler of some kind works best so you don't scorch the lube. Check out youtube, ther are a number of videos on pan-lubing. :)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:30:18 AM »
Check out youtube, ther are a number of videos on pan-lubing. :)

:o  WOW!  whoda thunk it!  I am in your debt kind sir!   ;D

I'll be casting bullets tonight with my newly smelted WW bars!   :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 10:36:02 PM »
Whozzat guy in the avatar?
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:51:18 PM »
if your shooting them below a 1000 fps the easiest way would be to by a bottle of lee tumble lube.
blue lives matter

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 04:07:42 AM »
Whozzat guy in the avatar?

That kind sir, is the infamous "other dude."  Stuff of legend and subject of the "other dude" defense. To wit:  "It weren't none a me!  It was dis over dude what look like me what done it!   :D

below a 1000 fps the easiest way would be to by a bottle of lee tumble lube.

Thanks Lloyd!  I've been skeptical of that stuff.  I don't have a reason, just the feeling that it can't work well.  That feeling is unfounded however, as I have no actual experience in the area.  :-\  But you and Forest (DCrockett) seem to think it works fine so I'll try some.    :)

The bullet will be for general use in my SAA's and informal plinking, I'm thinking the same load as the one for the SAA's here, in the '73; probably Unique and 800 +/- fps revolver velocities (that should give 1000-1100 fps in the '73).  Your opinion is highly valued!   ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 04:22:32 AM »
I use a lot of Lee alox and Lee sizers  I push 180gr LFNGC LBT style bullets cast from a Lee mould out of my max handy rifle @ 2000 FPS with no problems,  A plastic bowl and some wax paper is all ya need.  I also use it on .44s .45-70s .30 cal and 8mm mauser as well as 7mm and .22s.  I use it for thousands of bullets but for the small amount your talking I think it would be better than most other types of lube. Works for me.

BTW ya know it comes with the Lee sizer kit. And if you showed up at my place dressed like that I wouldn't trust ya and might shoot first. ::) :o ;D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 04:39:50 AM »
This may help with how to pan lube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBDFO0ftCQc

Offline matthewquigley

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 08:29:01 AM »
 ;D   i am doing it     look at 432 sizer thread !!!    i dip   as cast   and i honed a   $16 .430  lee push thru sizer die to .433  all it does is wipe off the excess!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
M. Quigley
            900 yards
                          O O
                         O     
                           O
H&R 223,25-06,308, 44,357    700VTR 308,  Ruger 77/44, Savage ML10

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 08:47:17 AM »
I pan lube a lot. I put the bullets in a HD pie tin and add shaved/chunked lube around the bullets. I place in a low oven (175 - 200 degrees) for 15 to twenty minutes. After the lube has melted; add lube to increase depth accordingly, deep enough to cover lube grooves. Oven heating allows the bullet and lube to reach the same temp. so the lube stickes to the bullet better! Remove from oven to cool, and remove bullets from lube. I use a cutter because the lube is a little softer than needed to "punch" out the bullets from the lube cake. My cutters are made from stainless steel tubing reamed a little larger than the bullets and sharpened on one end. Piece of cake! ;D

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 11:18:14 AM »
I've used a few bottles of LLA over the years, and the Lee sizers, too, and it does very well for me. I've also hand lubed several hundred bullets with White Label Lubes Carnauba Red. It wasn't the most enjoyable thing to do, but the results were satisfying. I ended up with an RCBS lubrisizer, but still haven't bought top  punches or sizing dies for my .30 cal nor my .357, they still get the Lee sizer treatment.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 01:21:58 PM »
Til I got my luber; I lubed with the LBT soft by hand, by rolling it out in strings and wiping it into the groove.  I did over 100 this way while watching tv.  I've also used alox tumble lube and it's fine except for the sticky part of the bullet that gets real fuzy in the pocket.  I've also had some loaded 357's in boxes that were left in the truck for a few weeks and they started squibbing.  Never had that trouble with groove lube and wiping the bottom of the bullet before seating.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »
Richard,

That Alox stuff works pretty good at low velocity.  I also make and use my own lube that I use in the fashion above, aka, pan lubing.  I also have a lubri-sizer.  It ain't that big a deal, just put a little grease on them and let them fly!
Or send me a box and tell me what size you want them and I'll send them back lubed. 

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 11:32:30 PM »
this is two downfalls to the stuff. It does collect dirt like a magnet and if left on the bases especially in hot weather it can cause squibs just like leaving conventional lube on a base.
Til I got my luber; I lubed with the LBT soft by hand, by rolling it out in strings and wiping it into the groove.  I did over 100 this way while watching tv.  I've also used alox tumble lube and it's fine except for the sticky part of the bullet that gets real fuzy in the pocket.  I've also had some loaded 357's in boxes that were left in the truck for a few weeks and they started squibbing.  Never had that trouble with groove lube and wiping the bottom of the bullet before seating.
blue lives matter

Offline patw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »
mdi that was a great idea.  I had never thought of melting the lube in the oven.  I have had some trouble with the lube sticking, hope this will help.  Another thing I thought about is that with my hard lube, I may just be able to stick the bullets in the holes and stick the whole thing in the oven.  I had some 22 bullets that would have been a pain to stand up.  With your way, I just stuck them in the bigger holes and I had no problems.  They are in the oven now.  Will let you know how it works.

Offline budman46

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 06:00:47 AM »
lloyd says it true when he says it collects dust like a magnet. i have no experience with the "squib load" phenomena, i load mine and store them in an air-conditioned space in plastic sandwich bags.

mechanic mentions tumble lube is good for low-velocity rounds...i use it exclusively for all my casting and experience no leading at velocities of 1800+fps with gas-checked or 1300+ with plain-base bullets. 

budman
budman

ignorance is fixable...