Author Topic: Sniper Rifle 168 vs. 165  (Read 594 times)

Offline doublegunner

• Trade Count: (15)
Sniper Rifle 168 vs. 165
« on: August 26, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
I have a Rem. 700 PSS w/Mark 4 scope, I use a 168 Match King for targets but on deer I like Nosler B.Tip.  Nosler makes thier 168 BTip in a moly bullet which I don't like.  The scope is zeroed at 100 meters and you use the knobs 1,2,3...10 for 100 -1000 meters.  My question is if I use nosler 165 B. Tip how much difference would that make.  Also what is the difference inNosler 168 Bal. Tip and Hornady 168 gr. A-max.

Bob

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Sniper Rifle 168 vs. 165
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:09:50 AM »
When you change ANYTHING in a load all bets are off as to where the bullets are gonna land. Changing bullet to any other even of same weight can shift POI by inches in any direction. I've seen it over and over again when doing load work up. I'd load multiple loads of same powder/bullet at different weights and often use multiple bullets of same weight mixed into this. Even with same bullet and different powder charges POI can shift more than an inch and when using different bullets of same weight it's not uncommon to see shifts of several inches when the ONLY difference was the bullet brand.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:24:25 AM »
like greaybeard said switching bullets is a crap shoot. Just about every bullet has a differnt ballistic coeficientcy and sectional density and flys slightly differnt and the farther out your shooting the more its going to change the flight of the bullet. I guess i dont see any problem in sighting in your gun for a hunting load though. You wont be shooting past 300 yards (at least not ethically) so it will just be a matter of a few clicks of adjustment to fine tune it at that range and all you have to do is jot down how many clicks of windage and elevation it took and you could easily switch back and forth between the loads. that is considering you have a good scope on your gun that is repeatable which you certainly do. In my ar10 i shoot 168 sierras mostly for 500yard work at the range and switch to 155 seirras for real long range work. they tend to stay supersonic longer at 308 velocitys then i switch to 150 sierra flat based spitzers for hunting. I just made a little cheat sheat for how many clicks i need to move the scope and keep it in the pistol grip. I have a trijicon accupoint on it and its dead nuts repeatable.
blue lives matter

Offline doublegunner

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 06:26:06 AM »
Thanks for the post - I just found out Nosler just started makeing copper 168 B. Tips.  Ordered some today.

Thanks
Bob

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:03:03 AM »
Thanks for the post - I just found out Nosler just started makeing copper 168 B. Tips.  Ordered some today.

Thanks
Bob

That's not really good info. They are NOT copper they are made of the same material as Nolser jackets are made from. They are NOT BTs they are E-Tips. I have 100 of them waiting for load development.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 10:12:29 AM »
And yer still gonna have to develope a load for YOUR rifle. Like all have said prior, most likely they ain't gonna shoot like the others.

HWD

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 12:14:25 AM »
When you find a couple of good bullets that shoot to the same place with the same loads, you've found the holy grail since it hardly ever happens.  I've found it in several instances:

1.  30/06 with Barnes 168 gr. TSX and Barnes 165 gr. Banded solids.

2.  375 H&H Magnum with Hornady 300 gr. BTSP and Hornady 300 gr. RN FMJ bulets

3.  458 Lott with Woodleigh 500 gr. Weldcores and Hornady 500 gr. RN FMJ bullets