Author Topic: DIY Aoudad Hunt  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Lefty Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
DIY Aoudad Hunt
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:34:21 AM »
I am trying to plan a DIY Aoudad hunt for 2010.  So far the only state that this seems possible would be New Mexico sinse they have over the counter tags and public land available.  What I would like to know is what areas in New Mexico would I have the best odds.  Also, What is the best time of year to hunt. How far can I expect my shot to be?  Thanks for your time.

Offline NitroSteel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: DIY Aoudad Hunt
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »
The drawing is over for Unit 30, which to my understanding, is the best unit to hunt if you are looking to hunt on public land - the hunt is in February 2010.  I have my tag sitting on the desk behind me ;D.  There are other areas that you can hunt, but I think for most (if not all) of them you will have to hunt on private land.  Getting permission without paying a trepass fee may be difficult (though I am not the expert).  This was the first year that Unit 30 was a draw unit and I think most everyone who put in was "supposed" to get drawn.  I think we put in for the draw in March.  Our party was drawn and our tags came a couple of weeks ago.  I hope we are able to be successful at it.

Talk to Mark in the Roswell office (G&F) at:  (575)624-6135.  Mark was very helpful and can tell you what you need to do in looking for an area, or if you just need to wait till the following year.  Good luck to you.  A friend and his friend hunted a different area northwest of Unit 30 last year and both were succesful in getting good rams, they did pay to hunt private land though. 

Nitrosteel

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:10:40 AM »
West Texas has many and no closed season but will be on private land.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline WESTTX4570

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 12:53:07 PM »
There are many here in West Texas, but it is all private land and the fees are outrageous, by my standards. 20 years ago a person could virtually hunt Audad for free, they were considered a neucense by the ranchers around here and deer hunting was feasible. Now the ranchers and farmers found out that they could make more money off of hunters than their cattle, thanks to the influx of big city lawyers and doctors that do not mind paying $1500 to $2000 to shoot a sheep and even more to hunt deer for a weekend. I am just thankful I found a businessman in Dallas that didnt know what he had as far as land is concerned and I locked it down for 10 years on a contracted lease.
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government we are paying for." Will Rogers