Author Topic: 170 gr 357 Magnum  (Read 1241 times)

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
170 gr 357 Magnum
« on: August 15, 2009, 05:59:00 AM »
After reading the opinions of the guys that answered my post on Cast Bullet Recommendations I've decided to try some heavier bullets in my 357 mag. I researched a lot of bullet companies for 180 gr cast but the only ones I could find in stock were in 500 count and I didn't want to try out that many. Earlier this year I purchased some 158 gr LSWCGC from The Western Bullet Co and have been pleased with them but they have a 170 gr and then it jumps to the 200 gr. I decided to split the difference between the 158's and the 180's and went with a 100 count of a Keith style 170 gr LSWC. Anyone have experience with this weight and style bullet ? As usual I'll be seating them over a load of Lil Gun and they'll be scooting along at about 1500 fps.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
Re: 170 gr 357 Magnum
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 08:27:28 AM »
Years ago, I was shooting IHMSA and my "first" revolver was 6" Model 19 S&W.
I had a mold for that 170 Keith that cast 168gr and it shot like hot cakes. The model 19 has a longer cylinder than the Model 27; just enough to make a difference seating that long Keith bullet.

It loved 2400 and went where you sent it, rapidly.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:14:54 PM »
Yes I own that mould in a Lyman four cavity mould. I seem to recall it's Lyman 358429 tho I'd hate to bet the farm on that number. I also have an RCBS two cavity 170 grain RN bullet that's super accurate. I used to use it for silhouette shooting in the .38 and .357 magnum. It's a GC mould unlike the Keith.

I like the Keith bullet fine for general use it's a good one so long as you don't push it too fast since it's a plain base.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 04:13:18 PM »
Bll:  You should have made the bet - it is the #358429. 

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 01:01:38 AM »
kynardsj,

I shoot the Lyman 358429 (173 grains) from a Ruger Security-Six and it is my favorite cast boolit load in that handgun.  The Ruger cylinder is long enough to allow seating of the boolit in the proper crimping groove.  Some cylinders in other handguns may not be long enough to allow this.  (I am assuming you are shooting a handgun?)

If this is so, I doubt you will get the 1500 fps you mentioned—I can only get that velocity from my Marlin 1894.  Regardless, I am shooting near maximum (‘bout ½ grain low) of H-110 or Lil’ Gun, both with a magnum primer, and I am getting 1247 fps and 1201 fps respectively.  I prefer the H-110 load.

Good-luck…BCB

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 03:24:58 AM »
It will be in a handgun, a 10 inch Contender and a 6 1/2 inch Blackhawk, and the speed I posted was from the Hogdgon website. I was just quoting their numbers.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 03:36:15 AM »
kynardsj,

You might get the 1500 fps from the Contender, and who knows, maybe from the Blackhawk.  My Security-Six has a 6” barrel.  I maybe could push it a bit harder with H-110, but I am happy with the accuracy at the 1247 fps mark…

I would be interested in the velocity you get from the Blackhawk—keep us posted…

Good-luck…BCB

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 09:02:31 AM »
I'm gonna have to invest in a chrony. All these folks that have one can get all technical and stuff and all I can do is quote numbers from a book or webpage. Yep, fixing to have to spend some money.

Offline Anduril

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 03:51:03 AM »
I'm gonna have to invest in a chrony.

more toys is good  ;D

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 06:29:41 PM »
I'm gonna have to invest in a chrony. All these folks that have one can get all technical and stuff and all I can do is quote numbers from a book or webpage. Yep, fixing to have to spend some money.

Lots of guys were getting 1500fps from that 358429 until they got out of the book and into a chrony of some kind. All are not created equal, but have some relevance. Like, what do you really want to do with it.. Some guys like various makes. I've been very happy with my Chrony Beta Master, but I really prefer using my buddy's Chrony F-1. It's much simpler and I can do the math for standard deviation and average velocity and all that. I do not like the 2-button computer capability of the Master series. Seems I have to re-educate myself every time I get it out. The F-1 you just put a battery in it and start shooting. I use a form to enter my velocities anyway so storing a shot string is not a feature I require. And they are cheap. Check the website for a trade-in or refurbed unit. I shot one twice and it still works (at least I get the same averages with the same loads).
Read and heed - use a shooting bench or you will shoot the chrony - eventually....

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »
Add one more vote for Sweetwater. I, too, have the F1 Chrony and bought it after I gave away one of their spendier models because I had to learn to use it every time I used it. With the F1 you put in a battery (9 volt), turn it on, and you're in business.

Like Sweetwater, I too have a form for recording velocities in pencil. I take that home and punch it into simple little spreadsheet to get Standard Deviation, Average Velocity, and High-Low spread.

Here's an aid for preventing the Chrony getting shot: Use either a dab of paint or a bit of electricians' tape and put a marker at the mid point of the shadow screen support rods. Then, when using the Chrony, be sure your line of sight is above the markers.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 10:16:11 AM »
Yep, I too use the old F1 Chrony.  It is old, maybe one of the first ones?

Sometimes I fire the first shot throught it to "set" it.  Then the other shots are the ones that count.  It has always been that way...

You used to be able to trade them back in for another model.  I thought about it, but mine stil works O.K...

I think it was $59.00...

It has been a good investment...

BCB

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
Also, with the Chrony; if you hit the skyscreen supports, a 4d finish nail and a swizzle straw make fine uprights and a beach umbrella makes a great skyscreen. You do need the "supports" to maintain where you need to aim for the light beams to be tripped properly. I finally read the part in the instructions about maintaining the proper sight distance above the lights - depending on velocity range you are using.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 03:28:21 AM »
Don't have a chrony yet but went to the range yesterday and tried some of these 170 grain rounds out. The 6 1/2 inch Blackhawk absolutley loved them and I believe it's the most accurate bullet I've shot in it. The 10 inch Contender didn't care for them. It'll stack 158 jacketed on top of each other but these 170's were a bit scattered. That's OK, I'll feed each one what it likes the best.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 12:13:19 PM »
Great Report!! Each has it's own favorite! Fun, FUn, FUN!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Offline retmech

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 04:50:26 PM »
Running max loads of H110 and 296 in a number of 6" guns using 358429 about the best I ever got was a little over 1300 fps.  The same load out of my 2 .357 rifles (20" barrels) runs a little over 1650 fps.