Author Topic: Marlin XL7  (Read 4360 times)

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Marlin XL7
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 03:45:49 AM »
My experience with Marlins is that they use soft steel, seems to me that these bolt actions of theirs won't hold up in the long run?  Has anyone put their Marlin bolt actions through the ringer to see how they do?

I tested a 25-06 for a friend & worked up a bunch of loads. There were no indications of anything soft, in fact I worked loads upward slowly up to book max & saw no pressure signs, but I sure wasn't going to go over book, esp. with someone elses rifle. I don't know that put it through a ringer, but I shot it more than a typical buyer using fact. ammo would shoot in several years.

I think the "soft steel' statement is one without fact or research in this case, whether or not it is true even with their levers I can't say because I don't have metal hardness testing equipment that could be applied to steel in firearms. Even so, the 336 is designed for rounds of less pressure, why in the world would Marlin use soft steel for a rifle designed for 270 pressures & esp. a new design, just not logical.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.