Author Topic: h4350 vs accurate 4350  (Read 1263 times)

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
h4350 vs accurate 4350
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »
Was at the gun show this am, looking for some h 4350 powder. None in the house. One of the vendors told me that the accurate 4350 powder could be used grain for grain as with h 4350. Was this a selling pitch or is this something that is being done. Want to hear your input. Been using h 4350 with good results. Can I expect the same result with the accurate 4350. Just wondering. If the statement is correct, I go back tomorrow and try the accurate powder.
                                Thanks    Jim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: h4350 vs accurate 4350
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 10:56:45 AM »
Jim

NOPE

H4895 , IMR 4895 and Accurate 4895 are all diffrent powders and all have their own data , they are NOT interchangable . their burn rates are close to each other and some of the data will cross over in some cases but NEVER assume that their the same !

Even the same powder will be slightly diffrent from lot to lot , so when something changes you need to re-look your load .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 12:07:48 PM »
Bad sales pitch pay it no attention. Just cuz the powders have the same number if they come from different manufacturers they are NOT the same and you never use them grain for grain the same. Close sure but not the same. Among the various 4350s there is as much as a couple grains difference so use data for the one you are loading.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jim36

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (47)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 12:32:13 PM »
Thanks Stimpy and GB for the answer I was looking for. I thought that would be the answer, but I wanted to make certain. Bad part about this, is some of the guy's standing at the table agreed with the seller. You just never know!!!  If the question can't be answered here on this forum, it can't be answered anywhere.
                                Thanks again

P.S. This is Saturday. Don't forget church tomorrow. :) :)                                                Jim

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 12:32:41 AM »
the answer is yes and no. They are basicaly the same powder. there made from the same recipe. Keep in mind that alot of aa powders are surplus powder repackaged but then h4350 was origanaly a surplus powder itself. When hodgdon introduced it they were selling surplus and the newer stuff is made to the same specs as the original. What you have to watch is lot to lot consistancy. you might find one lot of aa that is the same as your lot of h but then the next batch may vary. Best allways to use a starting load and work up with a chronograph when you are doing any experimenting like this. Same answer applys to 4831 4198 and 4895 or any powder that is sold by two differnt manufactures and its a good idea even with to lots from the same manufacture. Keep in mind that aa does not make there powder it is purchased and packaged by them so more then likely its basically the same powder but you cant take that for granted.
blue lives matter

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 12:59:38 AM »
There was a short article in a past Handloader magazine and it discussed the varieties of 4350.  I will look for it again and if I remember correctly, they were quite close in loading data.  I don't know about interchangable but very close.  I do believe the H-4350 seemed to be the slowest...BCB

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 05:11:04 AM »
I have burned a lot of AA 4350.  The truth is you should work up again even if you buy the same brand of powder if the lot numbers are different.  AA 4350 has served me well in all uses a 4350 was needed for.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 09:30:19 AM »
A few years back most likely in Handloader magazine but I'd not swear it was Handloader they did a comparison test of ALL the various 4350s. As I recall they did a series of tests where they loaded the same weight of each into a near but not quite max load in something like the .30-06 I think it was. They used primers, powder and brass all from the same lots in all the tests.

They checked for pressure and velocity of each. They then repeated the tests I believe using whatever it took to reach the max SAAMI pressure levels and checked the velocity/pressure as before.

The bottom line was that their burn rates weren't quite the same and that as much as two grains difference was needed in some to get equal performance. Even if they were grain for grain same you'd still have to work your loads up again as it still ain't the same powder and you can't depend on it working identically. Close just not precisely the same. All shoot for basically the same performance criteria meaning burn rate and pressure levels. They just don't all get there quite the same.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 03:48:49 AM »
The magazine was Handloader.  I looked for it casually the other day, but I might try to get serious and look again today...

Any idea how long ago it could have been?

BCB

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
Not really. Within the last 3-5 years for sure I'd say but beyond that rather wide time period I really just don't recall. Until this question came up I'd not really thought about it in a long time it just came to mind due to the question.

I don't have my old issues sorted in any kinda order to make searching thru them very quick or easy.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 09:34:59 AM »
I'll make the effort tomorrow morning...BCB

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 01:24:24 AM »
The Handloader magazine is #238 page 24...

I does give some information, but there was another short article on the 4350's and I simply can not find it!!!

BCB

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 04:06:31 AM »
I have an old Hornady manual that shows 4831 without any prefix (H or IMR).  I loaded some 7mm Rem loads with IMR-4831 and had pressure trouble.  Noticed a big difference with this load in Sierra manual.  Called Hornady and they said the powder data they published was for H-4831 and the next printing would correct the oversight.

Its been over thirty years so I could have the powders reversed.  The morale is - NO THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.