Author Topic: very early "H&R Sportsman", what do I have?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
very early "H&R Sportsman", what do I have?
« on: December 30, 2009, 03:45:33 PM »
Hi guys, I will need some help from you learned collectible H&R guys. I just checked the gunlocker. My H&R Sportsman revolver has a 2 digit serial number, that's right, under 100, and it has no letter prefix, just 2 little numbers under the grip. It says "Pat applied for" on the cylinder and ".22 Long Rifle ctg." on the right side of the barrel, and the name "H&R Sportsman" on the left side of the barrel. What do I have? Any idea on value? Thanks....<><....:)

looks like it might be a Variation 1, first year of production, 1932.......
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Re: very early "H&R Sportsman", what do I have?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 07:18:51 AM »
Holy crap!  A two digit serial number?!  man.. I thought my four digit Marlin '93 (#35**) and my 999 Sporty (SN# B50**) was low.. 

If you could get some pics posted I might be able to help.   Otherwise 32 Magnum or jim ritchie will probably have to help you.

RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 11:38:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply buddy, I am not good with pictures but it looks similar to yours except it has a round barrel with a solid raised "rib". IIRC on that rib is the name and address of the company (H&R). The front sight is a half moon brass blade. It has a one piece checkered walnut grip that is held on by a single screw that goes through the lower rear of the back of the grip backstrap.  I always thought it was a nine shot like my brother in laws but I had better check, it might be a seven shot. I usually shoot my rifles and shotguns nowadays and just keep this in the gunlocker. I will have to check with my brother in law and see what the serial number is on the H&R he got from his father (my father in law). I wonder if that one is an early one as well? Mine has a solid flat faced hammer which strikes a spring loaded firing pin housed within the frame. The .22  H&R revolver he got had a solid firing "pin" as part of the hammer....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jim ritchie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 06:15:22 PM »
Wish I could help. I know just enough to get myself in trouble!.
By no means an expert. What little I do know of the Sportsman models, is thanks to 32 magnum.
He is the man when it comes to H&R. Especially early model Sportsman pieces!!
Deceased 3-31-2012

Offline 32 Magnum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 07:49:40 AM »
MSP - You DO HAVE one of the 1st Model 1st Variations - most likely made in 1931 before the 1932 catalogue hit the shelves.  These earliest pieces have fixed/non-adjustable half circle front sights, windage adjustable rear sights, round finger grips on the barrel latch, "key-hole" barrels, cylinder release bar on right side of quill, one-piece wooden grip and nine-shot cylinders (if your's is a 7 shot, please provide the cartridge stamping on the right side of the barrel).  I have s/n 604 with all those attributes.  I also have s/n 1431 which is also a 1st M, 1st Var. but by that s/n the front sights had been made height adjustable with an elevation screw through the front of the rib.  I would really apprciate having the full serial number of your piece for research.  The lowest previous s/n I've seen was in the mid 200's. 
As for low serial numbers, I have a 1st Model 1st Variation American Double Action with s/n 14 - it is in mint condition.
p.s. Knight Model 999 s/n B50xx was made in 1941.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
Thanks for the help and information 32 Magnum. Check your PM's for some private info....<><....:)

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 12:45:27 PM »
Probably a well made hand fitted gun!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 02:24:41 PM »
yes, the quality, finish, and fit is outstanding, much better than currently mass manufactured guns....<><....:)