Author Topic: Glock 20 10mm Pros & Cons  (Read 16185 times)

Offline Avyctes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Glock 20 10mm Pros & Cons
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2011, 04:41:22 AM »
A guy at work that doesn't know very much about firearms recently asked me what would make a good light weight but hard hitting back pack gun.  He does a lot of hiking in VA with his boys in remote areas.  I steered him towards the 45 ACP in either a Glock or a Springfield XD due to the light weight polymer frames.  I saw him at a gunshow in Salem and he had just purchased a G20.  After I thought about it, the 10mm is probably a darn good round to have in the wilds due to its flat trajectory and hard hittingness ( :-*), but I had not advised him of the 10mm due to the price and scarcity of ammunition.  The 45 ACP is simply much handier to come by.  But, this dude is probably making 6 figures, and the upwards cost of 10mm ammo vs. 45 ACP isn't even a consideration, so I think he made a good choice.  If he comes up on a black bear or a bad guy, he's got something there with 15 rounds of 10 mil that he can slaughter it with, no question about it.
"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2011, 07:29:01 AM »
tell him to check out georga arms for ammo. as for 15 rounds good if he can get that many off  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2011, 08:26:31 AM »
FYI, Georgia Arms just got more "canned heat" in stock.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2011, 04:40:18 AM »
The 20 has 3 (fixable) defects from the factory.

1 - sights are plastic

2 - barrel is unsupported

3 - spring is too weak for full power loads

You can certainly shoot it as is. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2012, 12:06:38 PM »

1 - sights are plastic

I know its a old post... But it brought up some good points, with the increase in 10MM popularity.

Mike brings up three big points that should be addressed.

1) Good after market metal sites are something most change.

2) 6" barrel seems popular as do std length offerings from companied like Storm Lake, Lone Wolf, KKM and Bar Stoe. KKM advertises "fully supported" barrels.

3) A Metal Guide rod and custom spring weights are cheap and easy to change!

Lastly, better triggers as mentioned many times cannot be made to what a fine S&W or tuned 1911 can be, but are entirely shootable.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2012, 01:14:34 AM »

1 - sights are plastic

I know its a old post... But it brought up some good points, with the increase in 10MM popularity.

Mike brings up three big points that should be addressed.

1) Good after market metal sites are something most change.

2) 6" barrel seems popular as do std length offerings from companied like Storm Lake, Lone Wolf, KKM and Bar Stoe. KKM advertises "fully supported" barrels.

3) A Metal Guide rod and custom spring weights are cheap and easy to change!

Lastly, better triggers as mentioned many times cannot be made to what a fine S&W or tuned 1911 can be, but are entirely shootable.

CW

With regard to triggers , no they can't reach S&W pull weight and smoothness ( and that click ! I hate it )but the 10's from S&W didn't always meet Glocks reliablity , cost or weight . So they both offer different qualities. After market triggers , disconnectors and springs can be had to make the Glock trigger more to ones expectations if you want. Anyway I have had a 20 for sometime now. it is box stock and it has been flawless. it came with night sights . I don't shoot it thousands of times a year either. I would say upgrades depend on the use the owner will subject the gun to. As for unsupported bbl's if you reload a bbl switch would be a good investment for safety and enomics ( then lead bullets  can be shot).

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2012, 01:21:26 AM »
One other thing , I watched a G-20 ,10 mm Glock come apart once. It was a double load , a double max load . The round in the chamber when it went off blew the case in the unsupported area . That set the next two rounds off in the mag. The rest of the rounds came out the bottom of the mag. as it came apart. Tjhe slide came off and was recovered a few feet from the shooter. All parts were found but the mag spring. The gun was put back together and with a new mag worked fine. The shooter was not hurt in any way. The gun showed no signs of damage other than the lost spring.
This is why I say its better to use a supported bbl if you run lots of reloads as each time you size a case that was shot in an unsupported bbl the case is worked and weakened .

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2012, 05:33:03 AM »
WOW that really says allot as to the materials and thought that went into this firearm!!

I agree 100%!  Fully supported chambers are of tantimount importance to work with higher pressures. Back in "the day" I was making 38 stupids to major power and a ramped supported barrel was manditory!In the 1911 that was a gun smith to cut the frame for relief to fit the ramped barrel.

Even when I got my first Delta when all there was was Bren Ten and Norma ammo there was issues. The 1911 just was not made to work under the pressures of "full house" 10mm loadings as the Norma stuff was loaded.

I also reciently acquired a first gen Second Gen Glock 20. I just ordered a KKM 6" 100mm barrel for it for just this reason! I don't expect to shoot much lead, but like the Berrys 180hp plated stuff in my G23 40 cal. I hope it shoots well in the g20 too.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2012, 06:25:05 AM »
I just got rid of a Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup , I agree about your statement about the 1911. I want to get a G-21 and add a long slide and bbl for a 10mm.
Haven't seen Berry's bullets ? at leat don't remember seeing them ?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2012, 06:45:09 AM »
I picked up a box of 124g .355's last spring at Cabelas. They shot well
In a couple different 9mm's so when I needed ammo for the 40 I grabbed another box. They come in 250 pcs boxes and are plated, so they are stock Glock safe.

I would go long slide if a deal on one comes along. Until then the long barrel
In stock length slide will have to work. ;)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2012, 04:47:30 AM »
they dont make them in long slides.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2012, 04:51:04 AM »
i like mine, and my brother likes his.  problem with firing though.  pin makes indentation on primer and doesnt set it off.  his gun, and mine.   both started it about the same time frame.  called glock, they said send them in.   at my expense.   and his.   this P!$$es me off.   the other glock i have is flawless; it is a 23.   i am going to send it in here ina few weeks, see what they do to fix it.  if they do fix it, i wont complain.   if they give me some song and dance, i will.  we shall see.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2012, 06:12:55 AM »

Lone Wolf dist has them as after market parts.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2012, 06:16:24 AM »
i like mine, and my brother likes his.  problem with firing though.  pin makes indentation on primer and doesnt set it off.  his gun, and mine.   both started it about the same time frame.  called glock, they said send them in.   at my expense.   and his.   this P!$$es me off.   the other glock i have is flawless; it is a 23.   i am going to send it in here ina few weeks, see what they do to fix it.  if they do fix it, i wont complain.   if they give me some song and dance, i will.  we shall see.

If there is a Glock match near you go to it even if you don't shoot and let it go thru a safety inspection they will replace all the needed parts .
By chance was the ammo reloaded ?

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:19 AM »
some yes, some no.   

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2012, 03:48:56 PM »
Lone Wolf makes/made a long slide for the G20/21...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2012, 05:35:26 AM »
Lone Wolf makes/made a long slide for the G20/21...

CW

and add 357 sig or 40 s&w bbls and you can have one long slide gun that shoots all three.
If you have not visited lone wolfs site it is a good one to try .

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2012, 07:05:46 AM »
I feel like such a sell out reading this thread now.  I sold my G20 SF because ultimately I can't legally hunt with it in my state and I'm tired of reloading 10mm when I can just buy factory 9mm so such dirt cheap prices.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
I feel like such a sell out reading this thread now.  I sold my G20 SF because ultimately I can't legally hunt with it in my state and I'm tired of reloading 10mm when I can just buy factory 9mm so such dirt cheap prices.

You don't have any 10MM brass you want to get rid of do ya?  ::)    For free of course.  No sales on a discussion forum (Mod)

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2012, 04:39:27 AM »

You don't have any 10MM brass you want to get rid of do ya?  ::)    For free of course.  No sales on a discussion forum (Mod)

CW

LOL, I already sold everything on a state forum where a bunch of locals all get together online.  I had just over 550 pieces of starline brass that I just made someone a heck of a deal on.  In a round about sort of way though, buying fired/used brass is a large part of owning a 10mm.  It's the best caliber out there for a semi auto handgun and if you can find the good deals on the used & fired brass you'll cut your costs way down.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
LOL too bad I will buy some if I find it!!

Gotta keep this new toy properly feed!

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2012, 07:01:12 AM »
Well I have to aggree the glock 20 is really a hard package to beat.  Here is a pic of mine. I just got the lone wolf comp it does reduce muzzle flip quite a bit, I'll have to get out with my cousin with his glock20sf to see how recoil accually differs. We both ended up going to 22lbs springs mainly because we shoot the higher end of the spectrum of loads.  Mine I have trijicon night sights lone wolf threaded barrel (5.2 or 5.4 lentgh can't remember off the top of my head), the lone wolf comp. 3.5 rocket disconnect with a 6lbs trigger spring and a reduced weight firing pin disconnect spring. The trigger pull is about 2.5lbs. If I went any lighter the spring pressure doesn't have enough force to return the trigger to where the trigger safety endgages. If Im in a handgun hunting mood this will be the gun I take for long treks and normally I will grab my 500smith.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
I also have a LWD barrel. Its 5.5" and comped. Its a noticeable drop in muzzle flip I agree. Velocity is slightly less than the 6" KKM barrel.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2019, 05:07:29 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!