Author Topic: Revolvers vs one shot Pistols  (Read 928 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
Revolvers vs one shot Pistols
« on: August 25, 2009, 06:26:48 AM »
why is it that black powder  Revolvers cost way less then a single shot black powder Pistol?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Revolvers vs one shot Pistols
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:31:51 AM »
Ruger Old Army vs a Traditions Buckhunter?

You need to consider quality

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:45:37 AM »
There was a time that single shot pistol and kits were a fraction of the price of revolvers.  Those kits were made in Japan or Spain and the quality was just fair.  To a certan degree, the economy of scale has an affect.   Making a 1,000 rvolvers on jig used for 30 years canbe mad pretty cheap, compared to new tooling to turnout 200 single shot pistols.   

COWBoy actionshooting has created a renewed interest in C&P revs.  Single shots flooded the market 30 year ago, and are still ot here pretty cheap.

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 04:01:25 PM »
I too figure it must be the economy of scale.
All things being equal the single shot pistol has to be much easier and cheaper to produce.
People just don't buy very many of the single shots.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 08:10:27 PM »
You can spend all you want on single-shot pistols fellas...from modern precision target models to collector pieces.

...Chris
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 04:43:52 AM »
well i had got a 44cal for 76$( a Cabela's Confederate Navy)  then i sold it(had a hard time loading and useing it) and got a 50cal with looks like a Traditions Kentucky Pistol  and it was 110$ and they both were used.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 04:53:13 AM »
Well some people will sell a used gun for 1/2 of what it cost them 30 years ago while other folks want more than it costs new today, so you can't really judge by used gun prices. Traditions does sell several singleshots, brand new, for less than a new brass framed revolver and considerably less than a new steel framed revolver.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 03:10:51 PM »
what is really crazy is several companies selling the same exact
italian made replicas and there being a couple hundred dollars
difference in price.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 05:12:58 AM »
Well even with the deflated dollar it amazes me that you can still pick up percussion revolvers for considerably less than a similar cartridge gun. It surely would seem to cost more to manufacture a percussion cylinder, bored from both ends, milled out around the nipples, threaded for nipples and nipples installed, than to make a simple bored through cartridge cylinder. Add the complications for milling the frame for a loading lever and the lever itself compared to a simple ejector rod and I should think the percussion revolver would cost quite a bit more, especially the open top style. But compare the price of a '58 Remington percussion to a '75 Remington cartridge gun or an 1860 Colt to a Richards/Mason conversion. The Ruger Old Army was priced considerably above a Ruger Blackhawk and that made perfect sense, the Old Army was a much more complicated gun and more costly to produce, but not so with the Italian replicas. ???
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.