Author Topic: Brass reloading limits?  (Read 766 times)

Offline hoosierdome

• Trade Count: (9)
Brass reloading limits?
« on: August 23, 2009, 03:29:03 PM »
New to reloading, was wondering if there is a limit to how many times one reloads their brass cartridge. I know you check for cracks and general defects. How about annealing of the brass? Does this comes into play and at some point it just not wise to continue using the same brass?
Thanks Brian

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Brass reloading limits?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »
I generally use mine till it fails or I lose it. That said, most of my reloading these days is pistol ammo. The only rifle I load for now that I no longer hunt, is 5.56 for the ARs. I have AR brass that has been reloaded numerous times, (Dont' sort AR brass) no idea how many times it's been reloaded. Same goes for the brass I pick up on the range.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:18:44 AM »
How long brass will last depends on how hot they are loaded, if they are crimped or not, if neck sized or full length sized, and the case itself (design). A 22 Hornet case usually will stretch just above the web and will fail there first; they will need to be trimmed often too. This is due to the design of the case. Along sloping shoulder will let the brass flow to the case mouth. This growth comes from the area just above the web. A 22K Hornet will act more like a regular straight walled case with a sharper shoulder. Most other bottle neck cases will fail in the neck first, but if they are full length sized each time, can fail just above the web. Cases that fail just above the web, usually need more trimming done. This is because the case growth comes from that area, just above the web and the brass flows forward into the neck. This growth needs to be trimmed occasionally. Straight walled cases usually fail in the case mouth first due to case mouth flaring and crimping. You can extend the life of a case by annealing the mouth-shoulder area; if the case is going to fail in that area. Keep you brass in lots, when you notice a few cracks in the neck, you can anneal them to extend the life of the remainder of the cases. If it is going to fail just above the web, there is nothing you can do about that to extend it's life. When you see a few that have impending failure here, just toss the lot; it will not be long before they all will show signs of failure. Bottle necked cases that are neck sized only and only bump the shoulder back as needed usually do not need trimmed as often and do not stretch as much in the web area as cases that are full length sized. There is no correct answer for how long a case will last; it will last until it fails. There are methods to extend the life of a case, one I mentioned above, but in some cases you have to full length size every time. Some semi-autos need to be full length sized for reliable feeding, in some hunting situations, you want to full length size for reliability, and some want to shoot ammo in more than one firearm so they full length size so it will fit in every gun. When you neck size only, it is for a certain gun. And to get maximum life out of a case you only bump the shoulder back (not full length resize) enough to reliably chamber your round, maybe every third or fourth reloading. Straight walled cases, just shoot them until they start failing in the case mouth and anneal to make them last even longer. Welcome to the wonderful hobby of reloading. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:25:03 AM »
I neck size all my brass usully go 3-4 loads before I FL size and trim then start the count over after FL sizing, I don't really count how many times it reloads I just toss it when it starts to look bad or the primer pockets get lose.

I keep all my brass in it's own lots of say 50-100 and mark down how many times I have trimmed it. I date the lot when I reload it.

I'm sure i'm doing it all wrong but It all works for me in my head and I have been doing it this way for years and none of the animals I have shot have complained.... except one ;)
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »
It varies greatly. A lot depends on the quality of the brass it self. Then how much you work it. If you chamber is larger and you FL your brass it will shorten it`s life. If you run high presure loads, it will shorten case life. Some bench rest shooters say you can wear out a barrel with 10 rounds of brass. BUT, they size the brass to the chamber and never size even the necks and quite shooting a barrel before it startes shooting 1/2 in. groups.

Offline Blowtorch53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 06:34:09 AM »
Hi Hoosier,

These guys are right.  There are many variables with brass life.  Some pistol brass with target loads will last indefinitely.  Some full power rifle loads, depending on the caliber, will last only for a few reloads.  This depends upon the condition of the firearm they are used in also.  The most important thing is to inspect them closely each time they are reloaded.  I do this after resizing.  If they are going to crater on you, chances are they will do so when you resize them.  The less you size a case the longer it will last.  Neck sizing works great provided they will be used in the original firearm.  Lubing the inside of the necks also helps keep brass from stressing in stretching.  If you find signs of an incipient head separation or cracks in the base, get rid of the whole batch.  Cracks in the neck only, just discard those.  Brass is a lot cheaper than body parts, IMHO.

Good Luck,

BT
"That God could and would if He were sought"