Author Topic: ConeTrol scope mounts ??  (Read 1662 times)

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
ConeTrol scope mounts ??
« on: September 07, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »
Hey all,
I'm considering buying a set of ConeTrol scope mounts for my new .300 win mag Bar.
Both my Weatherby rifles which i bought used had these mounts already with good scopes so i never messed with them. Hence I have no practical experience installing or removing this type of scope/mount.
The fit and finish on the mounts and rings are excellent , very clean looking.
My concern is the installation of the scope with these....I heard mixed reviews.

Any body have any experience with these ?
Gimme pro's and con's.

Thanks
Robert 
NRA BENEFACTOR
United Sportsmen of America

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
Re: ConeTrol scope mounts ??
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 02:25:52 AM »
I have them. They are the best quality possible. You have to look hard to see where one piece of steel ends and the other begins. Installation is not easy; these things are machined so precisely, that you almost have to have and use allignment rods to put the scope up properly. They do come with a tool and installation instructions, you could do the installation yourself; however, these mounts and rings are so precisely machined that you would not get the full potential from them if you do not instal them and allign them properly, and if you do not level the scope. I had a qualified 'smith install mine (he also lapped the rings slightly), especially since they were put on nice rifles and held expensive scopes.   

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »
  I too have a couple of sets of these and like them alot.  I have installed them myself and changed scopes several times without any problems.  I am not trying to say the information that  anweis gave you is in anyway incorrect, I am saying if you read and understand the assembly instructions and feel you have
good hand coordination to assemble small parts then give it a try yourself. They are really well made and once installed, I have never had a scope move or slip. I have a set on a Sig / Sauer 9.3 X 62 and Sako 308.     Jed
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »
I've had a pair on a Mod 70 Featherweight since about 1980.  Never a problem.

Offline robert4570

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 03:45:32 PM »
I have them. They are the best quality possible. You have to look hard to see where one piece of steel ends and the other begins. Installation is not easy; these things are machined so precisely, that you almost have to have and use allignment rods to put the scope up properly. They do come with a tool and installation instructions, you could do the installation yourself; however, these mounts and rings are so precisely machined that you would not get the full potential from them if you do not instal them and allign them properly, and if you do not level the scope. I had a qualified 'smith install mine (he also lapped the rings slightly), especially since they were put on nice rifles and held expensive scopes.   

You're right , the tolerances are so precise that like you stated .....you almost can't see where the two ends meet.
I have to admit they look great on a rifle with a highly polished finish. They are a bit on the high end but are well worth it IMO. The 2 Weatherbys I have are both mags a 300 and a 7mm , never an issue with either one.
Thanks guys
NRA BENEFACTOR
United Sportsmen of America

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:34:55 PM »
Absolutely the best scope mount made,bar none. Little pricey,but quality has a habit of being pricey