Author Topic: Case Trimmer  (Read 989 times)

Offline doublegunner

• Trade Count: (15)
Case Trimmer
« on: August 21, 2009, 07:48:43 AM »
I need to buy a case trimmer.  Will the Hornady Trimmer w/ Cam Lock take my RCBS Shell Holders and what else will I need other than the timmer to trim rifle ammo?

Thanks
Bob

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Case Trimmer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:43:54 AM »
I'm not certain about the newer Hornady trimmers, but my old one from back in the mid eighties will use jsu about any of the Hornady or RCBS shell holders.

You've got chamfer/deburr tool don't ya. And a set of dial calipers to measure length.

I like to take a shell from each caliber I'll be loading and keep in in the bow with the dies. This shell has been trimmed to length and is used only for setting up my trimmer. Cut's down on the "trim-measure-trim-measure' method.

HWD

Offline PA-Joe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 08:54:48 AM »
How many different type cases do you have. Easiest to use is the lee trimmer.

Offline doublegunner

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 01:41:54 PM »
I reload 308, 30-06, 270, 257 weath., hornet, 30carbine and most of the pistols.  I've used the lee, I just thought I could do bigger batches and fast w/ a lath type trimmer. 

Thanks for the info
Bob

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »
I still vote for a trim die and 12" bastard file and a RCBS trim mate.  Got one for each caliber, just resize all brass, set the trim die in your press till it bottoms out on the shell holder, insert case, raise it up, file off excess length (2 long swipes).
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 04:48:30 PM »
I believe the new Hornady trumps them all even my two RCBS tools that the Hornady can replace and stand in as small an area as the smaller of the two RCBS tools. I really gotta get my hands on one and if it works as expected I'll have a couple of RCBS tools to sell that I thought I'd never part with.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 02:52:36 AM »
drdougrx,

Just curious, what keeps the file from eventually removing part of the top of the die?  It sure must be hard metal?

I use the Forster Case Trimmer.  I have had it for nearly 35 years and it continues to perform.  It uses collets to hold the case in place.  You do have to have pilots for every caliber you wish to trim though.  I have an adapter and I can use an electric screwdriver.  It works quite well.  It also doubles as a hollow pointer with other attachments…

Good-luck…BCB

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 03:37:09 AM »
Hi BCB...the top of the die is hardended and there's no metal removed from it.  I've trimmed hundreds of 06 brass, 7x57, 270 and 300wm brass (the appropriate die for each) with no ill effect.  I just ordered a 223 trim die as I have to get woking on a thousand or so pieces of winchester brass.

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 07:31:37 PM »
I still vote for a trim die and 12" bastard file and a RCBS trim mate.  Got one for each caliber, just resize all brass, set the trim die in your press till it bottoms out on the shell holder, insert case, raise it up, file off excess length (2 long swipes).

I have not invested in a trimmer yet, can you post a couple of photos of this setup so this ignorant boy can get a better idea of how you do it? I am having a very difficult time trying to paint a picture in my head of this.

Heck, I resorted to some 100 grit sandpaper to trim my 22 Hornet brass the first time around. I know the necks have little chance of ending up square, and the chamfer/bevel tool will help a little, I figured by the next time I should have a good trimming setup ready to go and will get the necks squared back up, and a good paying job to go along with it.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 03:45:30 AM »
Hi,

Just reading your post.  Will take some photos this weekend.  It's simple really, just screw the die into your press as you would with a sizing die, place a resized, lubed case in the shellholder then raise the ram to the top.  If your case is too long, it will stick out the top.  Get your file and give it a couple of swipes till the extra is gone and the case mouth is level with the top of the die.  That trims it down to the proper length.  Then champher, debur and tumble.  I use an RCBS power trim mate to do these functions.  That's it!

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 04:42:36 AM »
grdougrx: OK, I get it. I couldn't picture the top of a case sticking out above the top of a die. So the trim die has nothing on the top like other dies? You can see thru one end to end? Who makes these? I have only purchased Lee dies so far.

OK, I found 22 Hornet Redding Form & Trim Dies at Midway for $24 and Grafs for $26+.

That and the cost of a file, surely beats the cost of a trimmer if I have only one caliber to deal with.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 12:58:24 PM »
Hi Brian,  yep...you are correct...the top of the die is flat and you can see right through it from the top.  I use RCBS trim dies and have them for all the rifle calibers that I reload.  They range in price about $30-$40.  Odd calibers are more...I think I paid about $60 for a 7x57 trim die.

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »
I like the Wilson case trimmer. Simple to use, inexpensive, and incredibly accurate and consistent. Cartridges with the same parent body (e.g. 243 & 308 or 270 & 30-06, etc) use the same case holder. No pilots or collets.

Andy