Author Topic: My hunt with the new 7mm  (Read 545 times)

Offline redranger15

• Trade Count: (0)
My hunt with the new 7mm
« on: October 07, 2009, 11:59:49 AM »
it was a short wet hunt but we managed to get a nice bull. After getting my new 7mm all sighted in and ready to go I was ready to breaker in .The first morning we were up well before light and headed to the hills.There was a slight rain that wouldn't let up but not to much wind.I found a nice opening about 200 yards wide with some small spruce just trashed.Found me a spot to sit . I forgot my cow call so I just sat and waited.Not a peep as I was walking back to meet the boys I came across a doe and calf.Back to camp for some grub and we where off for some yotes.We called at four spots but nothing.Back to camp and get ready for moose .We drive the 9.2 miles through a few wash outs and a lot of mud but we made it. I can't belive how much our cuts have grown in. It would be very hard to see a moose so we decide to go right to the lake.20 yards threw knee deep bog and we were in the spruce and on some serious moose trails . I watched one bay and my bro watched another.Did some cow calling but nothing came out.Long cold and ruff ride back to camp.Next morning wake up to rain.Well we decided to see if the elk were crossing into some crown land. We found lots of tracks crossing into abig bush so we knew they were in there. Back to do some yote calling again. we were sitting in a pasture when i started to walk back to the truck when I spoted a young pup about 50 yards away in the grass. Up came the 204 and then click ,what the @#@$. Dry fire , first time I have ever had that happen.Lucky she didn't here so i reloaded and put it between her shoulders as she was looking down.The 40 gr droped her like a hammer.Time to get ready for elk again. Me and my bro went to a differnt clearng that had some really good trails and more small spuce trees trashed. My other bro went to the first clearing. As we were setting up two quads came roaring by. It was still early so I was not to bad.I told my bro that I hope the don't come back at witching hour.We sat and started cow calling ,I called more aggressive then normal.Not a peep ,kept cow calling every 5 ,10 mins sometimes once sometimes up to four five times ,switching between lost cow and cow in heat. I had half a bottle of cow in heat scent sprayed around us as the wind was swirling a little.Couple hours of calling and waiting with not sound .Then we heard what sounded like a cow mew in the bush , well that got us going .Kept on the hoochi mamma but nothing coming out.We started to get our stuff togther and call in a night as we have quite a walk back to the quads.With about 15 mins of light left and almost time to pull out I spotted big blonde coming thru the small populars.He came busting right out head held high to the top of a little hill.I had my crosshairs on the spot and was just waiting for my bro to get ready for back up.The bull was broadside looking right at us at about 75 yards when the 150 gr scirocco was on it's way.He hunched and took off down the hill.I was sure I hit him hard but we shoot till they are down or we are out of shells.My bro took a head shot and so did I.This all happend in about 10 seconds.We walked to the top of the hill expecting him to be at the bottom but nothing.I stared to look for some blood but nothing.I walked down the trails he took off down and listened for sound but all was quite.I started to walk further down the trail and there he was piled into a couple of tree's just off the trail. He went about 50 yards from the hill with a perfect shot threw both lungs.A few hoots and high fives later I had my best bull yet. Looking at the horns we ended up shooting off one when trying the head shot.He was a7x5.Back to the quads and home for some ropes and the trailer.We loaded him up and did all the work in the barn. It was nice having him by a trail and only 2 miles from home.We were in the house at midnight all done.Took a little while to fall asleep as I was still pumped up and replaying it my mind over and over again.Me and my bro will never forget seeing him trotting out on that hill all ready for that lost cow.I had to leave for home but my bro's are still up there for the week and will try and get a moose or the heard bull as this guy was all buy himself and we are sure that he's not big daddy.Anyways it was great being up there with the bros and uncle and another hunt in the memory bank.I'll try and put up some pics when the wife gets home and tells me where the cord is.Sorry for the long read.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: My hunt with the new 7mm
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »
Nice going!  Sounds like a great hunt!  Thanks for the post.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff