Author Topic: Has anyone done the math on reloading the 40 S&W ???  (Read 416 times)

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
Has anyone done the math on reloading the 40 S&W ???
« on: September 08, 2009, 05:06:50 PM »
I was considering reloading for my Glock 23.  Has anyone done the math to figure out how much cheaper it is than factory ammo.  I am buying factory ammo for about $12-$13 for 50 rnds.  I would only reload for this one to save money as I don't forsee much of an increase in accuracy.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline INresponse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Has anyone done the math on reloading the 40 S&W ???
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 05:41:15 PM »
Kind of apples and oranges, but I reloaded my last batch of 9mm for less than 10 cents per round using Barrys Mfg plated hollow points.

OK, a quick bit of research for low dollar but reliable parts........

Berrys .40 155 grain plated flat points  $108.00/1000 = 10.8 cents per round

Winchester 231 powder, $120.00/8 pounds, @ 6 grains estimate per round = 9333 rounds total, works out to 1.2 cents per round

Primers about 3 or 4 cents per round (if you can find them)

total is you have your own empty brass is about 15 cents or 16 cents per round for good plinking ammo.  About $7.50 or $8.00 a box of 50.
Police Officers support the 2nd Amendment!
-Retired-

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 07:56:56 PM »
One of the easiest ways to save money reloading pistol ammo is to use lead instead of jacketed bullets.  Unfortunately, doing so in a Glock will cause a kaboom unless you swap the polyagonally rifled barrel with a traditionally rifled barrel. 

If you could use lead bullets, you could get 155 gr. lead bullets for $67/1000 from Tennessee Valley Bullet Company.  The same guys sell 175 and 180 grain bullets for $78/1000 and 200 grain bullets for $80/1000.  Since lead bullets are a no-no without the aforementioned barrel swap, Berry's or some other plated bullet is probably the way to go, and INresponse has already done the math on those, so I won't bother rehashing it.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:11:03 PM »
Bullets are your single most expensive component. If you are buying them at $20/100 that is 10 bucks a box just for the bullets. If you can get them at 10 bucks you are looking at $5/box. IMHO - You will need to factor in your reloading tools. If you do enough shooting, yes it is cheaper to reload. If you do not do a lot of shooting, then no your better off sticking with factory. What I am saying is if you shoot 200 - 300 rounds a year buy factory. It will take too long to recoup your investment. If you are shooting 2000 rounds a year; reload. 
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline INresponse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 09:43:20 AM »
LaOtto222 is correct in suggesting not buying reloading equipment if you are only going to reload a few hundred rounds per year.  With that said, my shooting freqency jumped up considerably once I started reloading my own bullets.  That lead to buying more supplies and shooting more bullets.  A win-win situation.  At least until the family life took over, now I shoot a few hundred rounds a year.   :'( 
Police Officers support the 2nd Amendment!
-Retired-

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 12:20:17 PM »
I should have told you that I am set up to reload, but not this cartridge.  I would need dies, that's about it.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 10:46:40 PM »
Since I load for quite a few calibers so had the equipment, already had the primers and powder, loading the 40 was a reasonable option. I can pick up brass at our range after the police practice which saves me $ there too. And at local prices, I do save $. My Walther will take lead bullets too.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:17:38 AM »
Kevin - If you are already set up for reloading and all you need are the dies - what are you waiting for? ;) I suggest  a carbide sizing die be included in your set. You already know what it takes and where the expense is. If you are not sure look into a few of your manuals for likely powder and see if you have it on hand, if not, see what you can get it, order your bullets and I hope you already have primers. They are getting a little easier to get, but still kind of scarce. I placed an order for small pistol primers and small rifle primers back in May. I just called them this AM about another order (my bullets came in) so I asked them if they knew where I stood in line, they could not or would not give me answer. :( I just wanted to know if I was 500K down the list or 50K to get an idea how long I am going to wait. I want to get them where I placed the order, they are about as cheap as they get, with hazmat fees on 5K it works out to just a little over $30/K. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor