Author Topic: Why Revolver Over Pistol?  (Read 3774 times)

Offline Lawndart

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why Revolver Over Pistol?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 04:13:54 PM »
Thanks to you all! One last question...is there any disadvantage to carrying a snubbie instead of a 3-4" barrel? Is it noticeably less accurate at self-defense range or harder to shoot?

Bill

A really light revolver in a 38 +P or 357 mag.   Can be hard on the hands....which makes a person not want to shoot it.  That's the nature of the beast, if you want something small and powerful, it's gonna sting your hands.  Don't get me wrong....you won't need ice, but it won't be fun to shoot.  The good news is a 357 will shoot 38 wad cutters which are easy on the 'paws'.  Do be sure to shoot a few 'hot rounds' so you know how to control the gun.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 07:40:47 PM »
Amen there. Airweights, titaniums, are easy on the waistband for daily carry but tough to shoot. It may be like hunting with a nitro- express though; you'll be so keyed up when you pull the trigger you won't notice your shoulder was dislocated til an hour later. SP101 with a 3" is a nice weight for all that with a smaller frame.
held fast

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Avid Poster
  • Rabid, Avid Shooter
    • http://www.myspace.com/sixgun_symphony
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 04:18:44 AM »
 One thing about loading .38 Special in a .357 Magnum revolver is that you lose pressure as the chambers are cut for the longer magnum case. So you will lose velocity.

If you are mostly going to use .38 Special, buy a revolver chambered in .38 Special. I recommend a vintage Official Police revolver from Colt. They are built strong and can handle the hot .38/44 loads.

NRA - Endowment Life Member
NMLRA - Life Member
SASS - #62632

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 06:30:57 AM »
If'n you live in town, don't be load'n your "house gun"  with a hyper cartridge that penetrates your walls and accidentaly kills your neighbors.  The judge don't like it much when that happens.

Sometimes a .357 can be too much.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline photobear

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 08:36:46 AM »
Would Magsafe rounds be ok? Do they kick less because they have a lighter bullet weight?

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
       Most wheelguns are just plain pretty, and I don't really care digging through the poison ivy looking for my auto brass.

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 11:14:27 AM »
If'n you live in town, don't be load'n your "house gun"  with a hyper cartridge that penetrates your walls and accidentaly kills your neighbors.  The judge don't like it much when that happens.

I load up with a couple .357 shotshells, then pack a few softpoints after in case they're really persistent. I'm hoping after my neighbor heard the first one or two, they're dialing 911, coming to my aid, or quivering in the fetal behind good cover.
held fast

Offline Savage

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »

I load up with a couple .357 shotshells, then pack a few softpoints after in case they're really persistent. I'm hoping after my neighbor heard the first one or two, they're dialing 911, coming to my aid, or quivering in the fetal behind good cover.

What!! No blanks?   ::)

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline teamnelson

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 03:07:36 PM »
.357 shotshell at social distances dumps nearly the same energy on impact - social distance meaning before the pattern spreads. It also doesn't penetrate very far. By soft point I mean JSP which mushroom nicely on contact, or even SWC. Any of those three make a mess out of tissue. Again we're talking snubbie 357 revolver. I've not shot a snubbie Judge, but evidently someone out there thought a really short barrelled shotgun was a good SD/HD idea and they sell like hotcakes. I just don't want to mess with the recoil on that.

My neighbor and I share a 6" firewall for a bout 20' of wall. He's got a nice family that would appreciate it if I wasn't emptying a mag of milsurp ball or fmj through their bedrooms.

held fast

Offline Savage

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2009, 03:47:12 PM »
Having patterned the CCI shot shells in .38spl and .44, I'd have little faith in changing the mind of a determined attacker with them. I use them to control the snakes that make it into my yard from the lake. They are fairly effective out to 10' or so.  I would not want to use a defensive load that consists of a light load of small shot fired from a rifled barrel. Instead of shooting to irritate, I would prefer to eliminate the assailant's ability to do whatever caused me to shoot him in the first place. Other than a contact wound, a shot cap is not likely to do that.  It is noble that you are concerned with your neighbor's safety. Unfortunately an effective man stopping round will likely penetrate most interior walls. Your choice, but at least test your loads for penetration and pattern at 10' or so. Then if you're happy, everyone's happy!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2009, 04:26:42 PM »
i  used to  carry  shot  for  my  first 2

after  i  missed a water mocison

figured  in  a carjack  or robbery  a blast to the face.........

can  you   imagine  one pellet in the  NOSE  let  alone  eyes ears  neck  at  once

got to  be better than  pepper spray

but  then  people  on  this  forum got  me  back  to  5 X  125hp   357mag

i  dont want  to  think  about different bullets   under stress.......just shoot the middle...HARD

AND  TRY  TO  CUT  THE SPINE
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2009, 05:06:26 PM »
I shot the 2.5" chambered short-barrel Judge a couple dozen times; # 6 shot not much recoil;  10" about max range to hit (& kill) a golpher.  Probably be hell with #4 buck across the bedroom.

My house gun is 4" S&W .38 spec. with  125 gr. jHP at about 1050 fps, + crimson trace.  Yes, I have magnums but I live in town & I'm reluctant to use them here.

Hope I never have to use the .38 here.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2009, 02:17:33 AM »
let us not forget glaser safty slug for urban areas.  i still vote for the wheel gun, we talk about the reliability of the revolver and that the auto my jam not as easy to use ect, have ya ever seen a case stuck under the star ejector or unburnt powder?  this will stop a wheel gun as quick as a autos stove pipe.  as i said before a 3/4 in 357 is a great one handgun option, but lets not get carried away with the  " never trust an auto"  that thinking all but died in the 60's
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline Smitty308

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2009, 10:53:57 PM »
I own several autos and several revolvers.  I carried a 92f til I retired.  I like my Stainless, Ruger SP101 in 357 mag.  I carry it inside the waist band, strong side, front.  I recently acquired a S&W Mod. 19-3, blued, w/2 1/2" barrel.  It's like new.  I installed a Crimson Trace Laser Grip.  I think I found the perfect concealed carry gun.  Had to get a little larger inside waist holster for the K frame but managed to find one.  I think this and the Ruger will be my two carry guns from here on out.  The Smith was a bit spendy but for the extra round it is worth it
Thanks.
Blessings on All.
Sometimes I sit and think.  Sometimes I just sit.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
Advantages of a revolver:
 1. I don't have to chase my brass at the range.
 2. I don't have to bend over my fat belly to pick it up.
 3. I don't have to check to see if it's the right caliber.
 4. I don't hit my neighbor in the next booth, or myself, with spent brass.
 5. I don't lose (misplace) magazines.
 6. I don't have to load magazines, and my thumbs are happy.
 7. I don't have to clear jams.
 8. I like making the guys shooting the wimpy 9mm guns jump when my .44 mag goes off!
 9. I've been through the "spray and pray" phase, and now rely on shot placement to get the job done.
10. You don't go through your ammo as fast, and you get to enjoy more time shootin'.
11. I don't have to remember how to take the blasted slide off and disassemble the gun to clean it. Too many pieces.
12. I don't have to put all those pieces back together.
13. It takes three seconds to disassemble a single action revolver, and you've only got three parts: frame, cylinder, and pin.
14. The grip is always a nice size because you don't have a magazine running through the middle of it.
15. You can completely change the looks and feel of the gun by changing grips: rubber, wood (so many to choose from), ivory, micarta, smooth, checkered, finger grooves, gunfighter, etc., etc., etc.
16. And not only is it "All American" but it's intimidating as hell when you pull out a N-frame S&W, or a Colt Anaconda, or a big mama Ruger SA or DA revolver. Something about a revolver just says, "Bubba, I'm about to put a hole through you big enough to park my pick up."
17. When pointed at someone, they can SEE that cylinder full of ash trays 'bout to come their way, and they'll believe that story about the pick up.
18. I know my .41 mag, .44 mag, .357 mag, .44 Sp., or .45 Colt will accomplish #16. The only automatic round that will do the job right is the All American .45 ACP (thank you John Moses Browning). I hear the 10mm ain't half bad . . . but rare.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2009, 10:01:17 PM »
Thanks to you all! One last question...is there any disadvantage to carrying a snubbie instead of a 3-4" barrel? Is it noticeably less accurate at self-defense range or harder to shoot?

Bill

A slight loss in velocity as others have stated. However: In a real life and death situation, you are not going to notice recoil, noise, flash, or even how many times you fired. The adrenalin is gonna hit and you won't remember until it's all over and you quit shakin'. So don't worry about the snubbie. The more you practice, the better you'll react in an emergency.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2009, 01:40:59 PM »

Bill

A slight loss in velocity as others have stated. However: In a real life and death situation, you are not going to notice recoil, noise, flash, or even how many times you fired. The adrenalin is gonna hit and you won't remember until it's all over and you quit shakin'. So don't worry about the snubbie. The more you practice, the better you'll react in an emergency.

1250 fps  out of my  2inch smith 357  640

some times  it takes all 5 to  hit a can.........AT  50  YARDS.....DAO

i  like snubbies
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.