Author Topic: Anyone done this?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline vdubluv

• Trade Count: (6)
Anyone done this?
« on: September 11, 2009, 07:10:07 PM »
I have a pardner 12 gauge beater I'm cutting down to 18.5 inches. the barrel is on my SB2 frame now. My question is why can't I take $20 per 100 cheapo birdshot, cut the front end off the unfired shells with a sharp blade, dump the shot and push in a 12 gauge round ball? Maybe even use some prelubed BP patches if .690" diameter? I've heard of it many times but , off course , no good info anywhere. What's everyone afraid of? I thought about the 7/8 oz. Lee mould slugs too. Cast some balls or slugs with wheelweight and make 'em up then have some fun! ;D Cheap too. I know it will work. I'll be trying it soon no matter what but would like to get some info first.  I guess my "pioneering spirit" has become a bit more cautious. :-\ 8)  I'll probably have to use all the dumped shot in the buttstock to keep my shoulder from bleeding. ::)
Ready to fight for Freedom!

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
Re: Anyone done this?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 01:12:19 AM »
  Not many here would want to touch that question,  But as you said you are going to try it anyways soon.  I have done similar things to this but if you do try this make sure you can somehow hold the ball or slug firmly in the wad / shotcup so there is no free space when you fire it. 
Don't expect much in the way of accuracy.     Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 03:07:03 AM »
a 12 gauge ball weighs a ton. there is a reason the slugs are hollow. that powder goes off, and the gases and such hit the ball and it takes maybe 2 times as long to get moving as a slug.

keeping in mind you face, eyes, and hands are right near there...where do you suppose the gases and explosion are going to go, in your relatively weak break action, thin walled barreled shotgun?

don't call me for a ride to the emergency room, i don't want blood on my seats.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 03:40:08 AM »
I bought a Lee 12 ga slug mold. The instructions said to use only pure lead. Specifically mentioned not to use wheel weights. ???
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 03:45:28 AM »
If it deals with reloading and your not sure, don't do it.  Or at laest make sure it's on video so you can post the explosion and aftermath on youtube.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 04:50:11 AM »
Go to Veral's forum and look for the cut shell thread. Proven in Michigan woods for 50 years....lol

Offline hawken54

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 02:01:52 PM »
as a kid me and a buddy used to do the cut shotgun shell thing and where fairly surprised at the accuracy we could get, i was never quite sure how safe it was and havent done it in probably 20 years, but it did work.

Offline vdubluv

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 04:50:40 PM »
I tried a couple of cut shells today. Federal 3 dram, 1.125 oz,#8 shot. I was amazed when both shots were touching in the bullseye at 30 yards. Major target damage too. No way there could be high pressures with light birdshot. I'm really starting to like this idea. I might have to leave the modified choke 27.5 inch barrel alone. I'm trying a bunch more different make shells at 60-70 yards tomorrow. Fun. ;D

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
I'm not sure about loading lead balls, but I have done this trick with BB's as well as Rock Salt  ;) you can guess the later I am sure ::) 8)
BB's work pretty well, just pack them tight.

-Aaron

Offline Thunder

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 03:59:56 AM »
As long as the weight is the same and the projectile fit to the barrel is not tighter the presures should stay within a safe range. I would not go heavier in the weight and tighter to the bore. Bad things can happen.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 12:10:29 PM »
+1 on what Thunder said. As long as you load same as or lighter projectiles than the shot load you took out and the projectile is not over size for the bore you should be good to go.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »
Done it with rock salt many a time, and (don't laugh) rubber balls. Have a friend that has made his own beenies for "convincing" dogs to stay away. Work pretty good too...
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 06:45:16 AM »
Centurion has a load like this already.  12ga., 2.25", 1 .650 RB, 1250 FPS, part # AC122RB1.  Zanders has them.
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline vdubluv

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 04:45:06 PM »
I got my Lee 7/8 ounce slug mold the other day, cast about 20 of them with wheel weight alloy. Took cheapo #8 federal birdshot, cut the crimp end off, dumped shot, pushed the slugs in place, tapped to seat. They fit nice and snug in the shot cup and fall right into the chamber. All five shot about 6 inches below the bead sight into a few inches at 30 yards. Less recoil than the bird shot since the slug is 1/4 ounce lighter ;D. Now I need to try these in a pump and chronograph them. Slugs weigh 406 grains as cast. Fun fun fun. :)

Offline BIGDAVE54

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 04:46:05 PM »
On YOUTUBE.COM  is an old Army airborne guy that has retired and runs something with his young sons called the Pathfinder School. He did a segment there where he showed how to use empty shotshells to make a muzzle loader. If you get the time you might want to watch a few of his entries. He did one where his young son made emergency hand loads of .410 shells. We tried it and they worked,but were not as powerful as store bought shells,but in a bind it would be something good to know.