Author Topic: First Time?  (Read 844 times)

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
First Time?
« on: September 17, 2003, 12:10:00 AM »
Anyone taking a youngster hunting for the first time this year?

Offline Woodchuk

• Trade Count: (0)
First Time?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 04:07:50 AM »
Nope, but I'm taking my 20 year old girlfriend with me.  I'd like to take her younger brother who's asked to go squirrel hunting with me, but he's got to wait another year till he's legal.  We've already got him out shooting though, so he'll be ready when the time comes.

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
First Time?
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 03:46:20 AM »
I'm taking my 12-year-old daughter whitetail hunting. She sat with me last year on one weekend hunt and rather enjoyed seeing deer come so close and undisturbed. She absolutely adores deer ribs off the barbeque pit. She has qualified by to actually hunt this year by shooting three consecutive shots in a 6" circle at 50 yards with her rifle. She is still a bit apprehensive, though, about the whole affair, so she has decided for now to just sit with me again while I hunt this year. She has never actually watched me shoot a deer, so this might not be a bad idea.

I would love nothing more than for her to want to hunt and enjoy hunting with me as she grows older. But I am also very aware that this needs to happen on her own timetable, by her own free will. I have been encouraging and supportive, even coaxing at times, to get her involved in hunting. But I have also tried to be careful and not push her into it. I think that is the worst mistake I could make, to force her to do it or make her feel guilty for not doing it. As much as I cherish our time together in the woods, it may not be something she really wants to do, or it may not be quite time for it to happen just yet.

Everybody isn't born to be a hunter or even an outdoor person. It has to seep into your blood at some time or other if you are to travel that path. But forced injections will only build opposition and regret, not a natural affinity for it. I am offering her the opportunity to participate, but whether she chooses that or some other pasttime must remain her choice alone.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline wipartimer

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
First Time?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2003, 04:31:34 PM »
I Am! My oldest daughter turned 12 this summer and has just passed her hunter's saftey course. In fact, she just sighted in my 7mm-08 today.  ican't wait for deer season!  :grin:  Huntsman is absolutly right about not pushing the kids though. I made that mistake with her with trapping and now she wants very little to do with it :cry:  But at least SHE wants to hunt!
Mike

How can one truly understand nature without participating?