Author Topic: Exactly What Is It That Makes It A "Crossbow Scope" ?  (Read 434 times)

Offline GeorgiaDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Exactly What Is It That Makes It A "Crossbow Scope" ?
« on: September 07, 2009, 07:25:51 AM »
Hello from Georgia,

I would like to know exactly what the difference is between a regular rifle scope and a "crossbow" scope. I have been told by the Horton representitive that the vibration will indeed destroy a rifle scope. So, how is a crossbow scope made differently. Is there internal vibration dampers ? Are there any other differences internally ? I also hear that a rifle scope is set up for a longer shot, and that a crossbow scope is made for a much closer shot. This really does not make any sence to me since I have never had a problem with making an accurate shot with a longrange rifle when the target is only 40 yards away. I am curious as to the reasoning behind this "difference" between the two. Thanks in advance.

Dave
"Firepower is one carefully placed shot, just make sure that it leaves a big hole."

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Exactly What Is It That Makes It A "Crossbow Scope" ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:45:25 AM »
Is there a difference in eye relief?

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Exactly What Is It That Makes It A "Crossbow Scope" ?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 05:57:05 AM »
Dave, not sure on the crossbow but spring powered airguns have a forward surge after the pellet is discharged. Riflescopes are not set up to handle that. Airgun scopes have a different erector setup for the crosshaires to stabelize them against movement in both directions.

Perhaphs the crossbow recoil is simular.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE