Author Topic: Anyone Reloading 40 S&W for a Glock  (Read 422 times)

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
Anyone Reloading 40 S&W for a Glock
« on: October 01, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »
I was told that reloading for a glock 40 caliber is problematic.  Has anyone had issues with rounds failing to chamber correctly?  I understand it is when using once fired brass that was fired in a different gun.  I was just considering buying dies and reloading some.

I posted the same question on the Glock forum, but thought I would ask here too.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
Re: Anyone Reloading 40 S&W for a Glock
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 01:33:02 AM »
 No problem here. I use the plated bullets from Berry's or Rainier & usually Hodgdon Universal powder. I load on the lower end, I think 5.0-5.1 with a 165 grn bullet. I have a Gen III Glock 22 & 23. The newer Glocks have more chamber support. I have compared my Glocks to an H&K & the support seems the same. I also load range brass shot out of a Glock 22. I keep the guns clean & for the most part measure every charge of powder. As with many things there is the potential for a guy to screw up.
NRA, Veteran

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »
No problem here. I use the plated bullets from Berry's or Rainier & usually Hodgdon Universal powder. I load on the lower end, I think 5.0-5.1 with a 165 grn bullet. I have a Gen III Glock 22 & 23. The newer Glocks have more chamber support. I have compared my Glocks to an H&K & the support seems the same. I also load range brass shot out of a Glock 22. I keep the guns clean & for the most part measure every charge of powder. As with many things there is the potential for a guy to screw up.

My model 23 is not that old, but how do I tell which "generation" it is?  What you describe on earlier models sounds very much like what he said.

thanks,
Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 09:15:22 AM »
 The finger grooves in the grip are the easiest way to tell Gen III. I'd have to go look over the other specifics to tell.
NRA, Veteran

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 09:19:27 AM »
Some of the first Glocks only had one pin holding the trigger group in . then the next one had 2 pins the finger grove on the third .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rawhidekid

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:07:05 AM »
Accurate Arms came out and said not to use their powders in a chamber not fully supported,(Glock).  Prior to that I had been using AA#5 with no problem in my first gen 22.  Under 155 Grn bullets it was shooting one ragged hole. 8)  After the warning I went back to Unique, dirty but accurate.  The worst case of bulged case at feed ramp I ever saw was a Glock 10MM shooting 135 Grn bullets.  The customer fired three before I showed him his empty case.  Those were all he fired. ;D
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:45:55 AM »
Surprised noone suggested installing a different barrel in a G22 or G23, than the original factory barrel.

Most .40 Glock problems I've read about stemmed from using cast lead bullets for reloading, fired in factory barrels with whatever method Glock used to "rifle" those barrels.

Of course using plated or jacketed slugs should emilinate "leading", too.

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 11:16:21 AM »
In my first Glock 22 I bought a Barstow Barrel it had full chamber support and let me shoot lead if I wanted.  It also shot tighter groups that the original barrel, I noticed the rifling was a reverse twist from Glocks. :)  My next Glock shot tight enough I saw no sence getting another barrel, I stuck with FMJ ammo. 8)
NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather:   RIA 38 Super, , Vaquaro .357, Golden Boy 39A .22,  54cal GPR, 54 cal Lyman plains pistol, 45 cal Kentucky Rifle perc, 50 cal traditions Hawken Woodsman

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »
Redding makes a push thru die just for the Glocks. It's called the G/RX. Plastic bottle screws to the top of the die to catch the brass, carbide die, and shellholder push rod. That way your sizing the complete brass.
I had a friend of mine, who's a retired machinist, make one for me years ago. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline rawhidekid

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:05:03 PM »
You are missing the point, the unsupported portion of the feed ramp allows the brass to stretchat that point as presure builds to sometimes rupture point.  Again that is why Accurate arms stated they did not want there powder used in chambers that were not fully supported.