Author Topic: Ft.Sill ,Ok 1960  (Read 838 times)

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Ft.Sill ,Ok 1960
« on: September 22, 2009, 05:48:19 AM »
While @ Artillery school  . My how time flies  ;D

We trained on 105's . Later we were fire mission for training the FO's . I did the wire rolling and retrival  for the land lines used back then to the F.O.
Wife found this picture in her "stuff"   ::)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Ft.Sill ,Ok 1960
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 06:11:10 AM »
Good grief! we found Jimmy Dean impersonating Elvis! ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 06:16:19 AM »
Gee,

only twenty some years before I got there.

What's that plugged into the gee-tar?  Surely ya'll didn't have electricity then?  ;)

Offline Forward Observer

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 08:11:46 AM »
Wow!  Great snapshot.   That's 6 years before I first got to Sill for ROTC basic and 8 years before artillery school.    I think I've got some old photos of the post museum tucked away somewhere, but nothing as neat as that shot.   

Cheers
Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:13:48 PM »
Gee,

only twenty some years before I got there.

A dozen years before my tour there.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 12:25:04 PM »
You're a hep cat, Ernie! I can't make out the headstock logo; what make of guitar is that you're playing?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 06:37:17 PM »
It's a Les Paul Gibson  , Bought it in Monterey Cal . Had a week end pass out of Ft.Ord . Took every dollar I had in savings . Could not afford to get off base after that .  $250.00 , Still have the receipt here some where.

Offline prospector86

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 09:06:25 PM »
I got started in cannons a few years ago, about the time I found this place too. I was wanted to know how many people here started with the artillary in the army. Finding out there's a lot of old arty's. I was in Ft. sill in 2005 for school.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 07:06:36 AM »
It's a Les Paul Gibson  , Bought it in Monterey Cal . Had a week end pass out of Ft.Ord . Took every dollar I had in savings . Could not afford to get off base after that .  $250.00 , Still have the receipt here some where.

Hey Ernie; I sure do like talkin' 'bout cannons, and mortars!

I've got good news, and I've got not as good news. I thought your guitar was a Gibson, but I wasn't absolutely positive; it is definitely a Gibson. I knew it wasn't a Les Paul model, because I own a Les Paul Deluxe, and the Les Paul's were the first solid body electric guitars that Gibson made; the guitar your holding in the photo is an electric hollow body archtop. Gibson has had a lot of models over the years, and they're usually designated by numbers, so it took me some time searching before I found your model. Does this photo remind you of your guitar (this one has the "Natural" finish, yours has the sunburst finish)? This Gibson is the model "ES 225" with double "P-90"  black covered pickups; the ES stands for Electric Spanish. The ES 225 td (the model with double pickups as opposed to a single pickup) was made by Gibson from 1956 to 1959 when it was discontinued. If you still have that ax, its worth considerably more than you paid for it, but nowhere near what a Les Paul of that time period would be worth today.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 08:19:15 AM »
Yep it was a ES 225 .  Thank Goodness it wasn't a Les Paul   as I traded it for a Fender Palamino   :-[
The fellow @ the music store told me it was a Les Paul .... Dumb kid didn't know any better  :>)
Bought it in November of 1959